MIDI PC Switching Noise in BigSky

sread

Hey Ron & Crew!

I was playing last night and tapping through some presets from my MIDI page I have setup on the PBC and noticed that whenever I change up or down presets on BigSky I can hear the button "press" clicking from the PBC in the BigSky. I've isolated everything else and can still hear a noise in the BigSky when switching program up and down.

My first thought is some sort of grounding issue over MIDI that's managing to impact the audio signal. Any thoughts on this? I'm going to keep troubleshooting this weekend.

Thanks!

An improperly shielded MIDI cable can definitely do that. Is it specific to changing presets on the Big Sky? What happens when you're sending other commands to the Big Sky or to other pedals? A shielding problem should cause noise with all MIDI commands, not specific ones.

The Big Sky is last in the loop before I take the MIDI back to the PBC for the USB-MIDI merge. Before that is the Timeline, and I do not hear any noise from sending preset changes on it when I trigger preset up/down. I don't seem to hear it when I send a patch change via preset (will look more in to that) but I definitely hear the PBC clicking when I cycle program changes up and down on the Big Sky. I'll check all of my terminations on the MIDI cables first to see if I've lost a ground connection or if the pinout got messed up.

I just wanted to see if you had heard of this happening before or not. As always, thanks for all your support, Ron!

If only certain commands cause noise, then you have to look more at what the command is doing. The Timeline commands go through the same cables, so if they're not noisy, it's not a cable issue. I would next suspect the Big Sky itself. If you have some other controller you can use to temporarily patch in to send PC messages to the Big Sky, that would help diagnose things.

Looks to be only the Big Sky increase program preset function that makes the noise. Any part of programming that command that could cause a noise? I've checked the Timeline preset change that button page and it is identical but no noise.

Looks to be only the Big Sky increase program preset function that makes the noise. Any part of programming that command that could cause a noise? I've checked the Timeline preset change that button page and it is identical but no noise.

I can't think of a reason that the BigSky command does it, but the Timeline command does not - unless the reason is in the Big Sky itself.

Are you saying that PC decrease function doesn't make any noise?

Back