Mini Effects Gizmo - MIDI fault

Spike

Hi - I got a Mini Effects Gizmo last week and it worked fine at first. Then yesterday it suddenly developed a problem receiving MIDI information - sometimes it works fine, then nothing. When it's working you can program ok and it receives PC commands fine; but then other times you can't reprogram patches (presumably because it doesn't know it's received a new PC command) and it won't change patches (again, presumably it doesn't think it's received a PC command). Even more wierdly sometimes if I keep pressing on the relevant MIDI PC pedal the ME Gizmo suddenly changes patches as commanded (but it might take 3 or 4 repeated presses of the relevant program change pedal on the foot controller). So it seems that sometimes the MIDI messages are getting through, other times they're not.

I've done all the obvious things - changed MIDI leads, checked the relevant send/receive MIDI channels on everything, plugged the unit directly into my MIDI controller (a Yamaha MFC10) rather than via my MIDI distributor, etc, etc. I've also had a Mini Amp Gizmo and the larger Effects Gizmo, which I've used for a good year or more, so I know my way the RJM units pretty well now and can be as sure as I can be that it's not 'user error' on my part. Besides, they're both working fine, as are the two Eventide 'Factor' stomp boxes in my rig. (I got the Mini Effects Gizmo so I could better program the things I use in my amp's FX loop).

Any suggestions of things I could check/try ...? Kinda pulling my hair out here.

Thanks all.

Spike

We've seen that happen once or twice before and know what the problem is - replacing one resistor on the board is enough to fix it. Where are you located?

Ron - hi, funnily enough I just emailed you and then your reply to my post came through literally at the same moment ...

I'm in the UK - is the fix something I can get someone to do locally here ...? I'm not a tech-head but I can get a tech to do the work if you let me know exactly what they have to do.

Besides, more generally, presumably if this is a problem you've encountered before, I guess others on the forum would be interested to know how to sort it.

Thanks muchly.

Spike

Good! I'm glad it wasn't two people having the same problem!!!

The solution is to reduce R12 from 10k to 2.2k or 2.7k (either is fine). You can replace the resistor, or carefully add a 3.3k resistor in parallel to the 10k resistor, which will drop the total resistance to about 2.5k.

That's great - I assume it's obvious which resistor is R12 (sorry, did say I wasn't a tech head ...!)

Ron - thanks so much for all your help. I got my local tech guy (Paul Huish at O2Have in Old Windsor - the man's a genius ...!) to sort it for me yesterday morning and everything worked absolutely fine. Even got it done in time for a gig last night opening one of the big summer festivals - fab.

All the best,

Spike

Back