Mini Effects Gizmo / Mini Line Mixer Rig

masch

Hi folks,
I was wondering whether you could help me plan and set up a new, more portable rig. After years of experimenting with racks, processors, rack sized shelves and pedals I've decided to only use a smaller number of FX and keep things neat. That's why I've come up with setting up a pedalboard that would include the Mini Effects Gizmo and the Mini Line mixer. The MEG would be my audio switcher and on it I will have a Rotovibe, a Compressor pedal and a Chorus pedal, all connected in series. My delay, an Eventide Time Factor will be connected in parallel through my amp's FX loop and in a Line Mixer (the Mini Line Mixer). All these would be connected via MIDI as well as the amp which is also MIDI controllable and would be programmed and controlled by a GC PRO. What I would like from you guys is some input as to what my connections would be if I want to make this happen. The reason for using the Time Factor in parallel through a Line Mixer is to control how wet my signal is and also to keep my dry tone intact. Another concern of mine is how all these devices would be daisy chained by MIDI cables (amp, MEG, Line Mixer and Time Factor) Ideally I would be able to control the amp's channels and features (when applicable), the pedal itself (Time Factor's presets) presets from MEG etc. I would be more than grateful for any input!
Euripides

Hello,

Does your amp have a MIDI controllable effects loop? That will determine how things get wired. If you're using the MEG to switch both the effects in front and the loop effect, you'll be limited to 4 effects total because you'll need to use loop 4 as an insert point. Either approach will work, but using the amp's loop switching ability (if available), you'll have another 2 loops available in the MEG.

In any case, the MIDI connections are simple: GCPro's MIDI output to the MEG's MIDI input, MEG's MIDI Out/Thru to the TimeFactor's MIDI Input, and the TimeFactor's MIDI Thru to the amp's MIDI input.

Hello again,
The amp's FX loop IS switchable but I wouldn't mind sacrificing loop 4 or any other loop as an insert point as I'm not too worried about adding another pedal to the mix. What I would like further input on is how everything would be connected in case I add a Line Mixer to clean things up in the delay / tape echo department. Moreover, I'm also curious as to whether I'd have to hook everything up as a separate MIDI device.
Thanks,
Euripides

Could you please get back to me on my latest post? I'm a bit perplexed as to how everything would be connected.

To use loop 5 to switch a pedal in the loop, and have that pedal in parallel, connect as follows:

Guitar into Buf In
Effects in loops 1-3
Send 4 to amp input
Amp's loop send to Return 4
Send 5 to delay input
Delay output to Line mixer input 1 right
CS Out to Line mixer input 4 right
Line mixer output to amp's loop return

Keep loop 4 on at all times

I would definitely put the Timefactor on a separate MIDI channel. The amp can probably be on the same channel as the Mini Effect Gizmo (which should be on channel 1 for ease of setup). Most MIDI controlled amps are controlled by PC messages and have a Write or Store button to save channel selections. If this is the case, putting it on channel 1 with the Mini Effect Gizmo is no problem.

Sorry for the belated reply..Thank you for all the feedback and advice! I'll try it out once my order has come through and have the necessary equipment.
Thanks to both for the support,
Euripides

Hello again guys!
I've just got my new RJM products through the mail. We've talked about how the MEG and the Mini Line Mixer woud be connected but haven't touched on their MIDI connections yet. Ideally, I'd want to control the MEG, an Eventide Time Factor and the amplifier head itself through a MIDI controller. What would my connections be in terms of MIDI? Would it be possible to keep the three in different MIDI channels?

Sorry! Only just seen you had already answered this previously in the same thread!
' In any case, the MIDI connections are simple: GCPro's MIDI output to the MEG's MIDI input, MEG's MIDI Out/Thru to the TimeFactor's MIDI Input, and the TimeFactor's MIDI Thru to the amp's MIDI input.'

Hello again folks!
The rig I was talking about is now in action and all set up and wired up. I'm still having some issues knowing which wire are not functioning as well as I would want them to but I'll figure that out eventually.
My main concern now is there must be something I'm doing wrong with the Mini Effect Gizmo. It doesn't always save the presets / loop combinations as I would want it too. I'm thinking there must be some mistake in terms of the way it is set up. At the moment I have it set on MIDI channel 1 although it says in the manual that setting it up at MIDI channel 16 would make it function as a GCX when used with the Ground Control Pro. The reason for me not using it on MIDI channel 16 is that the amplifier (Rhodes Colossus H-100) is already set on that MIDI channel. So, when trying to save some loops on a certain preset on the GCPro for example when recalling that preset not all those loops are active. That gives me the impression that it is not saved properly (despite following the directions correctly). What do you suggest I should do in order to figure this out?

Back