Missing something about assigning CC#s in AxeFX3

greiswig

This started as I was trying to make a button turn the amp boost on and off. Since there isn't a pre-set "Select CC" option in the GT editor menu, I started trying to map something that would work. But I couldn't External 1, etc...nothing seemed to work.

So I started trying to figure out where I was missing some critical info. I looked at my Wah1 bypass button, which in the editor shows as CC#94. And it works.

But in the AxeFX, I have it assigned CC#118. So it seems like it should NOT work. My guess is that it works because Ron has cleverly avoided CC#s like that altogether for some things, and it's just using sysex. So I could literally have Wah1 as any CC, or none, and it would still work. (This is great, BTW! Because it frees up CC#s!)

But I still cannot figure out how to toggle the amp boost by having the right CC# in the GT, and the right setting in the AxeFX.
- I set it to be controlled by External 1 in the AFX, and have that item mapped to CC#100.
- Then I map that modifier Source to External Control 1 in the amp block. (There is no "External 1" shown)
- And I ask the GT to toggle CC#100.
And it doesn't work. In fact, that mapping DOES turn it on, but leaves it on. I can't turn it off even manually.

Can someone give me an example of a source and mapping in the AFX3 that works with something on the GT side?

I have the Saturation Switch controlled by the GT and use External (Control) 10 for switching on and off. This is what I have done (by using the MMGTEditor to program the GT):
- Allocate a button (Buttons Page) on the GT, set the "Button Mode" to "IA" and set "IA Actions" to CC#20 (Ext Ctrl 10 on the drop down menu you get when clicking the "Select CC" button. Remember to hit "Done" and "Write changes to device" so that the button is activated on the GT itself.
- Assign "External 10" as the "Modifier Source" in the AFX (using the front screen or Axe Edit III)
- On the AFX front screen go to "Setup" -> "Midi/Remote" -> Press the "Page" button until you get the "External" page -> scroll down so that the "Exteral Control 10" line is highlighted (blue) and use the Value wheel (or one of the five small buttons depending on which of them that
is controlling "External Control 10) to change the value from "none" to 20.

I tried just for fun to also allocate "Input Boost" to "External 10" (on the Axe Edit III) and then I could switch both the "Saturation Switch" and "Input Boost" on and off from the GT. Perhaps only CC# between 11 (Ext Ctrl 1) and CC#26 (Ext Ctrl 16) are "open" to be used for this type of actions? I don't know - only guessing - but I have a few things controlled by "External Controls" (with CC# between 11 and 26) and it is working fine here.

See post #8 in the link that Alexander provided. Quote from post #8: "Forgot to mention, the External controllers are not part of the Sysex interface. Those have to be done the old way - go into the Axe-Fx and assign CC numbers to each External. Start with External 1 as CC11, and go up sequentially from there. The GT knows to use actual CCs for those controllers." End Quote

Yes, these guys are correct. CCs lower than #34 are processed as normal CCs, anything above that the GT will try to convert to a Sysex message.

To use an external control, assign Ext Control 1 to CC11, Ext Control to CC12, etc. on the Axe-Fx

The CC settings for all effect blocks and everything else on the Axe-Fx are ignored.

There is a Select CC type of thing in the editor. On the Buttons tab, right-click (ctrl-click on a Mac) on one of the buttons. A menu will pop up. Select Assign CC > Axe-Fx III > and you'll see the list of available CCs.

Alternately, if you're in the full button edit screen, click Add CC Action, and a window will pop up where you can select device and CC number.

Perfect! Thank you all. I think part of what was throwing me was the inconsistent terminology: External 1 here, External Control 1 there...made me think I was barking up the wrong tree.

Love this GT!

...and this group, too. I'm afraid I'd be pretty lost without the wisdom of the willing folks here.

Last edited:
I’m having a bit of an issue getting the “real” cc values to work with the AXE FX 3.

I want to have a ‘solo’ button control the output#4 value. When the button is off I want to set the output volume to CC value=105 (partial volume) and when the button is on I want it to set to CC value =127 (full volume)

On the GT I create an IA switch:

Action Type: CC toggle
CC Number = 11
Off Value = 105
On Value = 127

On the Axe FX 3 under the Setup --> MIDI/Remote page:

On the ‘External Page’ I set External Control 1 = 11
On the ‘Other’ page I set Output 4 Volume = 11

I’m sure I’m missing a key step here. Any help would be appreciated.

May have fixed this by upgrading to the 4.2.0 update but I had to also go into the preset and assign the Ext Controller 1 modifier to the output volume of the block in order for it to work. I'd rather not have to do this for every preset. Is there a way to assign it globally to Output#4 once and be done?

Thank you.

Back