MMGT22, Axe-FX XL, Scenes and a real amp that needs switching

skracus

Hello Ron! I've a quick question. Is it possible set up the MMGT22 to run the Axe-Fx II XL using scenes and send CC to a Mase Boogie JP-2C to change channels? For example S1 and S2 would use Amp Chanl 1, S3 & S4 Amp Chanl 2 and S5 & S6 Amp channel 3. I'm running the JP-2C with a load box/ Cab IR Sim into the loop of the Axe-Fx. I want to take advantage of the power of scenes but to do so within a preset I need to be able to change the amps channels based upon which scene is selected. Is this possible?

I understand that I can do this with presets and IA's of course just seeing if this was a possibility.

Hello Ron! I've a quick question. Is it possible set up the MMGT22 to run the Axe-Fx II XL using scenes and send CC to a Mase Boogie JP-2C to change channels? For example S1 and S2 would use Amp Chanl 1, S3 & S4 Amp Chanl 2 and S5 & S6 Amp channel 3. I'm running the JP-2C with a load box/ Cab IR Sim into the loop of the Axe-Fx. I want to take advantage of the power of scenes but to do so within a preset I need to be able to change the amps channels based upon which scene is selected. Is this possible?

This should be no problem. You would just program the button with the Scene you wanted, then add a new CC action for the amp channel change.

So for example, the button for Scene 1 would have something similar to the following 2 commands
Axe-FX II XL:Scene1 / CC Toggle #34 off:none on:0
MesaJP2C / CC Toggle #22 off:0 on:127
The first line sets the Axe to Scene 1. The second line sets the Mesa amp channel to 1. And as you know, the JP2C has other midi functionality, so if you wanted to turn on the shred function or EQ with scenes you could do that as well.

Before you do this programming you would have to create a device definition for the Axe FX XL (which is in the Mastermind GT database, so that's not issue) and a definition for the Mesa JP2C specifying its midi channel (that way the commands for the Mesa won't be "read" by the Axe and vice versa).

The only other thing I can think of is that the "easy" way to implement Scenes is to make them global. If you want to have different Scenes associated with different amp channels in different presets (for example, in preset 1, scene 1 will be amp channel 1, but in preset 2, scene 1 will be amp channel 3), then you will have to program these on a per-preset basis on the GT.
-
Austin

Hi Austin! Thanks for the reply. What I was hoping to try was keeping the MMGT running in Axe-Fx mode and add this CC instruction to the scene buttons that are accessible after hitting the IA Mode button but those appear to be a global thing and I haven't found a way to access those. I can set it up the way you described but I was hoping to keep it running as is and read in the presets etc with the two way midi comm. Not sure if that remains intact if I set up the MMGT to control several devices like I had been running the MMGT.

Hi Austin! Thanks for the reply. What I was hoping to try was keeping the MMGT running in Axe-Fx mode and add this CC instruction to the scene buttons that are accessible after hitting the IA Mode button but those appear to be a global thing and I haven't found a way to access those. I can set it up the way you described but I was hoping to keep it running as is and read in the presets etc with the two way midi comm. Not sure if that remains intact if I set up the MMGT to control several devices like I had been running the MMGT.

The example I outlined was in Axe-FX mode. If you go to the Scene 1 button in MMGTEditor and choose "New Action" (not "Add CC Action"), then you will be able to Add an action for a different device. The button status (in terms of how it lights up) will be controlled by whatever is in the first line, which in this case is the Scene action. So you will still be able to sync up everything with the Axe FX. If you wanted to have the scenes behave differently on a preset-by-preset basis, then you would need to go to the Presets tab in MMGTEditor and edit the local buttons for those presets.

For the midi connection to the Mesa, you would use the Midi thru port on the Axe FX.
-
Austin

Back