Multiple Midi Devices

Wheresthedug

I am currently using my PBC to send MIDI PC commands to 3 devices.

Channel 1 - Mesa Boogie Triaxis.
Channel 2 - Strymon Mobius
Channel 3 - Strymon Timeline.

The PBC Midi Out goes to the Midi In on Mobius, Mobius Midi Out to Mid In on Timeline and Midi Out from Timeline to Midi In on Triaxis.

I have just added a Digitech Whammy DT to my setup and would like to be able to send the appropriate midi PC information to select the desired Whammy effect with each preset. For example, as I don't want to carry any more guitars than I need to, and some songs are in standard tuning, some in Drop D (that's 2 guitars) a few songs are in drop B (that would mean 3 guitars). I plan to use the Drop D guitar but engage the Whammy DT function 3 semi tones down on those songs. That would require me to send the Whammy PC 58 on Midi channel 4. However, the Whammy DT only has a Midi In port. I don't want to have to run a long Midi cable from my board to the Triaxis In then another long cable from Triaxis Out all the way back to the pedal board to control Whammy.

Is there a way round this?

I know that the Midi Out socket on the PBC can be configured for bidirectional Midi but can the Midi In socket on the PBC be used as a second Midi Out?

Yes, with the right cable, the MIDI In can be used as a second output. Or. you can use a MIDI Thru box like the ones by MIDI Solutions that can split your MIDI signal into multiple outputs.

You would need a MIDI cable that's wired like this:

(Each line shows the pin on the first connector, followed by the pin it's connected to on the second connector)

1 - 4
2 - 2 (use bare shield wire)
3 - 5
4 - 1
5 - 3

A custom cable builder like Best-tronics would be able to make this for you.

You would need a MIDI cable that's wired like this:

(Each line shows the pin on the first connector, followed by the pin it's connected to on the second connector)

1 - 4
2 - 2 (use bare shield wire)
3 - 5
4 - 1
5 - 3

A custom cable builder like Best-tronics would be able to make this for you.

Great thank Ron. I think i have some spare midi connectors lying around so i can try and wire it up myself. If i turn out to be as incompetent as usual i'll find someone to do it properly for me.

Back