My Rig with RG-16, noise issue and Bogner XTC.

eyeshift

Hi there!

I just purchased an RG-16 to use with a new system I´m bulding around a Bogner XTC. The idea is to put 4 pedals and a Line6 Mod Pro in front, and the Line6 Echo pro in the FX loop of the amp.

First thing I noticed is that the RG-16 makes a ground loop noise when only trying one loop (loop 1 or 2 tried so far) with one pedal. The noise will go away if I patch in the Buffer. This is all adressed in the manual, where it says to either use the buffer or "make" a ground lift. I don´t know how to do that so I´ll go with the buffer, but I´m worried since I intend to use a Fuzz pedal in loop 2.

Another question I have is regarding the use of the RG16 and the amps fx loop. I figured all I needed to do is just patch the fx unit into the amp´s fx loop, and then just engage the ON or OFF of the Fx´s loop via a functionl switch but then I saw the demo schemes, and it is recommended to insert the FX unit in the RG16, which I don´t really understand why. Is this an option, or is it really better to use it through the RG16? I just think the more "patching" and twisting of cables, the more noise I might end up getting.

Also, anybody there using an RG16 with a Bogner? Any ideas, suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks so much!

With regard to the noise issue, you can do a few things, but one of the most common is to put the buffer in one of the loops after the fuzz pedal, or at the end of the chain. For example, put the buffer in loop 3, connecting the buffer input to loop 3 send and the buffer output to the loop 3 return.

If you have an amp that can remotely switch its own effect loop, then you don't need to patch the effect(s) into an RG-16 audio loop. The setup in the diagrams is assuming that the amp has a full-time effects loop that can't be switched.

Back