No signals coming out of the MOTU Midi Express 128

tom gutermuth

I bought a MOTU Midi Express 128 last week on Reverb to split the MIDI signal from my MMGT16 to a number of devices (2 iPads, Roland Drumset, Keyboard...) Basically just use the MOTU as a hub. I actually don't want to use the Mac or DAW software. I thought that I would need a computer to configure the inner workings of the MOTU but if I understand correctly, I don't need a computer. I do get the Midi In port to flash but nothing comes out. In its simplest setup:

I have a RJM Mastermind GT16 Footcontroller to control my Kemper Profiler Amp. Midi-out on the footcontroller controls the amp, midi-in drives the displays on the footcontroller from the Kemper.

I now connect the MIDI Out on the Footcontroller to any Midi In on the MOTU and connect any MIDI out on the MOTU to the Kemper Midi In. The cable that returns back from the MIDI Out of the Kember to the Midi IN on the Footcontroller stays where it is. Basically I am just inserting the MOTU into the signal chain from the footcontroller to the Kemper. On the MOTU the MIDI In light of the port that is connected to the Footcontroller flashes, the Midi Out light to the Kemper is dark. I connect an iPad with Midi Monitor to the MOTU and nothing comes out (expected, because the lights on the Midi Out ports on the MOTU are dark).

I suspected that the MOTU had a problem so I got another MIDI Hub:
4in/4out MIDI Interface - DriverGenius USB MIDI Interface with Standalone MIDI-Merge 2in/4out (USB Mode, MIDI Thru Mode, MIDI Merge 2in/4out)

Same issue. Nothing comes out

In this very basic setup, what could be wrong there?

Thanks for your help,
tom

I haven't worked with either of those products, but it sounds like they may need configuration to get them to forward MIDI from one port to another. They might work without a computer in general, but they might also need to get connected to the computer once to get the configuration set.

Back