PBC Midi Interface with Strymon pedals?

Wesley Winford

Has anyone tried to connect their strymon timeline or bigsky through the usb port on the PBC to a mac? My timeline is connected to the PBC by midi, and the strymon librarian is recognizing my PBC when I connect to to my mac's usb port, but it is unsuccessful when I test the connection on the librarian. It would be awesome if all I had to do was plug in a USB cable to my PBC to export and import patches in my timeline.

This is a feature that has been requested, but not implemented yet. It should happen in the not too distant future.

I have 3 midi devices connected to my PBC, timeline, bigsky and m5. Would I still be able to connect my Strymon pedals to my computer via USB even though the m5 doesn't have midi thru?

I have 3 midi devices connected to my PBC, timeline, bigsky and m5. Would I still be able to connect my Strymon pedals to my computer via USB even though the m5 doesn't have midi thru?

You would need to use a MIDI Thru box to split the MIDI signal to go back to the PBC.

You would need to use a MIDI Thru box to split the MIDI signal to go back to the PBC.

Isn't there a way to configure the midi input of the PBC to be an additional out? It that is so, then couldn't I just run my m5 out of that, and keep my bigsky and timeline where they are?

In order for the 1 cable USB method to work the second midi would have to be an input return in order for bi-directional midi to work with programs like Strymon's Nixie(currently still beta).

The midi thru splitter Ron is suggestion would still let you midi data to your m5, and then use the pbc as a midi interface once he has integrated that functionality to the pbc. (Thanks for all your hard work Ron!!)

You could use a splitter cable to split the PBC's MIDI input or output into separate in and out jacks. I'm not sure it's any better than using a thru box, but it might be a little cheaper. Best-tronics could make the cable for you.

(For those who don't know, the PBC uses the normally unused pins on MIDI jacks for bidirectional communication, so the output jack has an input on the extra pins and the input jack has an output on the extra pins).

Back