Question w/ Kemper

dougc84

Originally, I had my MMGT set up to work one-to-one with the Kemper's performance mode. This was all well and good, but, because I augment the Kemper with other MIDI-controlled devices, I found this is actually not optimal. I have started using the Kemper's performance mode to store my "base" rigs - Performance 1 (slots 1-5) contains clean amps, 2 (slots 6-10) contains acoustic and alternative clean amps, 3 (slots 11-15) contains crunch amps, and so forth and so on.

With the original setup, it read the current FX slot status (both the effect name and the on/off state) and would output it on the MMGT. Doing it this way, I don't get the correct FX names in the slots.

Rig and Performance autoload is off on the Kemper, and all the auto-load and syncing is off on the MMGT; otherwise I get overwritten preset names.

Any thoughts on how I can achieve the proper FX state names? Would it make more sense, in this case, to go to Kemper slave mode?

Thanks!

Can you explain in a little more detail what has changed from then until now? It sounds like you were using performance mode in both cases.

Hmm... let me try to clarify.

So, before, MMGT preset 1 was controlling Kemper's PC 1 (Performance 1, slot 1), MMGT preset 2 was controlling Kemper's PC 2 (Performance 1, slot 2), and so forth and so on in a linear fashion.

I'm now, instead of duplicating a rig multiple times in the Kemper, using certain performances for multiple MMGT presets. For example, PC 2 is my "go-to" Vox AC-30 sound. So I now have MMGT presets, at random, using Kemper PC 2.

When I stray from the one to one correlation between the MMGT preset # and the KPA's PC #, and use, say, MMGT preset 21 for Kemper PC 2, all is fine and good - it controls it fine and updates the state of each slot properly. But, if I make changes to the rig (which I have), the names of the Kemper effects don't get updated.

So, I guess what I'm asking is if there is a way to sync up just the effect names without updating the preset name?

It sounds like something isn't working correctly, or is not configured correctly. Can you send me your settings?

Sure. Here's a couple photos of what's going on first:

This is, as an example, preset #7 on the MMGT (Joshua Tree+), page 3 (though I'm thinking about moving the stomps to page 1 and removing a row of the presets). It's showing Stomp A is a Comp, Stomp B is a Chorus, Stomp C is a Gate, and Stomp D is unset. X is unset, and Mod is Loop.MMGT.jpg

This preset calls up KPA PC #2 (performance 1, slot 2). My go-to Vox amp sound for the time being - I'm still messing around with using other amps and such, but I'm just using 1-5 in the setup for now. It's hard to see, but you can see that the correct stomps are highlighted as on (in Aqua) on the MMGT, and the correct stomps are unhighlighted (in Blue) that are off.

However, I've changed this to be:
Stomp A: Studio EQ
Stomp B: Compressor
Stomp C: Gate
Stomp D: Green Scream (DIST)
X: Stereo Loop (LOOP)
Mod: Stereo Widener (WIDE)

KPA.jpg
On the KPA, "Rig Autoload" and "Perf. Autoload" are both disabled. If I turn on "Auto Sync" or whatever it's called for the KPA (on the MMGT), all my preset names get overwritten, and I really don't want that.

Thanks Ron. You are the man.

Settings are here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4503852/mmgt00.rjs (You apparently cannot upload .rjs files to the forum posts.)

Hey Ron,

Have you had any chance to look into this? I just installed the 3.0.1 release and the issues still persist.

Back