RG 16 and MIDI connections

masch

Hello,
I have some questions that I'm pretty sure are easy to answer but I simply can't get my head round them.
I'm currently using RG 16 as an audio looper and not so much for its function switching. I'm using a MIDI controlled amp as well as a number of pedals connected to the RG 16. One of them is the Eventide Time Factor which as you may well know is also MIDI controllable. So the RG 16 controls the pedals and it's connected to a Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro which also controls the amp. Each device is set in a different MIDI channel and the RG 16 is identified in the GCPRO as 'GCX' (it's taking the place of a Voodoo Lab GCX switcher).
What should the MIDI connections be in order to make it feasible to program and control everything (the RG 16, Time Factor and amplifier) via the Ground Control Pro?
Looking forward to your replies,
Euripides

It kinda doesn't matter, as MIDI is clever, as long as your device has a MIDI THRU jack. I'd go GC Pro > RG16 > Time Factor > amp, but on a short chain of devices like that, it's really up to you. The devices should all respond to their own MIDI channel and ignore the rest of the messages. If you were using 5 or more MIDI devices, you'd want to split the signal using a MIDI THRU box (such as those made by MIDI Solutions) so you don't get any glitches or lag between changes, but you should be fine with your chain.

Cheers for the reply, Martin!
Could you care to explain it in more detail as to how these should be connected (in - out / thru)?

OK... GC Pro MIDI Out > RG16 MIDI In
RG16 MIDI Out/Thru > Time Factor MIDI In
Time Factor MIDI Out/Thru > Amp MIDI In

That should do ya :)

Just to be specific here, you want to use the RG-16 MIDI Thru (The RG-16 is the only product of ours that has separate MIDI Out and MIDI Thru jacks).

But otherwise, Martin is spot on. :)

Just to be specific here, you want to use the RG-16 MIDI Thru (The RG-16 is the only product of ours that has separate MIDI Out and MIDI Thru jacks).

But otherwise, Martin is spot on. :)

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have a question.

Why only use the Midi Thru jack? Doesn't the Midi Out port also send the same MIDI messages as received on the MIDI In port, or does this only occur on the MIDI Thru jack?

Cheers

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have a question.

Why only use the Midi Thru jack? Doesn't the Midi Out port also send the same MIDI messages as received on the MIDI In port, or does this only occur on the MIDI Thru jack?

Cheers

That's the primary difference between the two - the MIDI Thru just retransmits anything coming in the input. MIDI Out is for MIDI messages actually generated by the RG-16, which only happens during firmware upgrades. This is the "traditional" MIDI arrangement, although lots of products (including our more recent ones) combine the MIDI Out and Thru into a single connection.

That's the primary difference between the two - the MIDI Thru just retransmits anything coming in the input. MIDI Out is for MIDI messages actually generated by the RG-16, which only happens during firmware upgrades. This is the "traditional" MIDI arrangement, although lots of products (including our more recent ones) combine the MIDI Out and Thru into a single connection.

Thanks, makes sense

Back