RJM-SP1 as volume pedal

Derek McCarthy

Hello, I just ordered myself a RJM-SP1 expression pedal to go with my Mastermind PBC. Looking forward to setting it up to work with my MIDI enabled pedals! Quick question - can this expression pedal also be programmed to act as a volume pedal and if so how can this be done?

Sorry, I'm afraid not (at least I'm 99.9% sure it can't). I own the same pedal (I also have a separate volume). There is no "volume" function in the PBC, it's either passing audio through, or its not.

I guess maybe if you had a MIDI pedal that had an "output level" on it that was controllable via MIDI you could sort of do a volume by controlling the output on that pedal. Obviously that only works when THAT pedal is on and you're not needing it for something else. Probably not a good solution.

Hey Shoelesscraig - Thanks for your reponse! I run several Strymon pedals w/ MIDI and rarely need them all on at once so maybe I could occasionally use one of those pedals as a volume control with the RJM-SP1. I'd have to look into it to see if any of them have an output level setting.

Also, I just discovered an old thread with this comment in it. Perhaps they were also using a MIDI pedal to accomplish the function of a volume pedal? Hard to know without having more info on their setup..

http://www.rjmmusic.com/forum/index.php?threads/expression-pedals.635/

"I just got my hands on a Mission RJM expression pedal. It's incredibly responsive! The toe switch is perfect for a real Wah feel!
When the Wah is switched off it turns into a volume pedal :eek: Just perfect"

Back