Scenes used to maintain IA states without saving

greiswig

There was something that used to happen that I stumbled on, but it turned out to be pretty convenient. I tend to use one preset (maybe two), and change between scenes. What used to happen was that let's say the preset came up with Scene 1 where the chorus was bypassed. If I engaged the chorus on that scene, even if I switched to Scene 2 where chorus was bypassed, once I returned to Scene 1 the chorus was on again.

Now none of the scenes are maintaining state like that if the GT16 is plugged in. They do maintain it if I switch between scenes on the AFX3 without the GT plugged in.

What parameter in the GT is overriding this feature?

Yeah scene revert is on in the AXE setup. Go to midi/remote in the setup menu and it will be in there. Set it to off and you should be good to go.

Negative: Scene revert IS off. Like I said in the OP, "They do maintain it if I switch between scenes on the AFX3 without the GT plugged in."

Something MIDI-wise is overriding it.

Another possible clue: this seems to be new since starting to try to use present buttons and presets to control scenes, where before I was using direct scene control buttons.

I took one of your old files and was able to get it to work as long as scene revert was off. The most recent file I have does have scenes selected by GT presets. Can you send me your latest?

Thank you for looking into it, Ron. Here is the file I'm working from. Page 7 is the focus.

Attachments

• PresetsTEST3.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
I took one of your old files and was able to get it to work as long as scene revert was off. The most recent file I have does have scenes selected by GT presets. Can you send me your latest?

I’m betting it was working using one of the “Oct2018*.rjs” files from earlier. Those did work. It’s the ones where I am using preset buttons to control scenes, such as the “PresetsTEST3” posted in the previous post where it isn’t working for me.

If you want the IA buttons to correctly reflect the Axe-Fx state, you have to turn off grouping, and turn off Send and Update on Preset Change. Basically, you have to keep the GT from taking control of the buttons and let the Axe-Fx control them.

Also, you have an X-Air device on channel 1, it may cause problems until you move it to a different channel.

If you want the IA buttons to correctly reflect the Axe-Fx state, you have to turn off grouping, and turn off Send and Update on Preset Change. Basically, you have to keep the GT from taking control of the buttons and let the Axe-Fx control them.

Also, you have an X-Air device on channel 1, it may cause problems until you move it to a different channel.

The attached file, Page 7, has all buttons with no grouping, and Send and Update on Preset off everywhere, and I removed the XAir device altogether. It still acts the same for me:
1. Second press on one of the preset buttons does change the scene back to previous, but the display over the button I just pressed twice is still showing that button as "on."
2. Engaging a block like Chorus, Wah, Delay, etc. in one scene is still NOT remembering those settings when I return to the scene, although Scene Revert is off on the AFX3.

So these seemed to make no difference in my case. Are you saying the PresetsTEST3 file above worked properly for you?

Attachments

• PresetsTEST4.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
Two system settings of yours are different from the recommended settings:

- MIDI RECEIVE CHANNEL: should be none, unless you have a separate device on channel 15
- DIRECT SEND: should be off.

SEND ON PRESET CHANGE and UPDATE ON PRESET CHANGE should both be turned OFF in the properties of IA buttons (including Scene buttons), but should be turned ON in Preset buttons, IIRC. Those are the default settings when assigning a a button to Preset the proper way.

Thank you, Alexander. I made those changes. It didn't affect any of what I wrote above.

Ron, are you saying it is working properly on your GT16?

That file works fine for me without modification using GT 4.2.1 and Axe-Fx 1.18. I did the following:

- Press ODS
- Turn on flanger and chorus
- Press /13
- Flanger and chorus automatically turn off
- Press /13 again
- /13 turns off, ODS turns on, flanger and chorus turn on

Maybe there's another Axe-Fx setting we're missing? I have:

Scene Revert: OFF
Eff Bypass Mode: Value
Program Change: On
Ignore Redundant PC: On
Send MIDI PC: Off
PC Mapping: Off

I don't know why any of the others (aside from scene revert) would specifically cause that problem, but I don't know why it would work for me and not for you.

Thanks so much, Ron! I'm a step closer, at least: my Ignore Redundant PC: was set to off, and turning it on is preserving the state of blocks within a scene, so that's great!

However, in the scenario you described above,
- Press ODS
- Press /13
- Press /13 again
- Main display shows ODS Scene selected (and it is), but the /13 button is still showing as selected.

Update: I decided to do a factory reset, and reinstall 4.2.1. Now it works!
Man, it can be a little frustrating to be so close to things working just the way you want, but once they get there...it's a wonderful thing.

Back