Set up Button Page to assign the expression pedal for Chase Bliss Pedals

sjgam

Was considering purchasing the SP1-RJM expression pedal to control the 6 midi controllable knobs on my seven chase bliss pedals.

Each of these knobs have a dedicated cc#.

I see you can set on the PBC 10 editor the device and cc# and values as an override for each PBC preset.

But I have a dedicated button page for each Chase Pedal where I have tap, bypass, PC+/- .

I would like to set up 6 buttons on each Chase custom button page to assign the expression pedal to corresponding cc# like you can do with the Preset Editor page.

That way I don't have to bend over to turn the knobs with guitar in hand.

Any way to set up an IA button on Button Page to edit the Expression device and cc# assignment like you can do at the Preset page?

Yes, to go the Globals tab. In the Expression Pedals section, there's one entry at the top, then a larger section that says Exp Pedal 0, Exp Pedal 1, etc. Edit the first 6 of them so that the first one sends the first knob's CC to the pedal. the second one sends the second knob's CC, etc.

Then, on your first button, add an action: System / ExpPedal off:None on:0. On the second button, add a different action: System / ExpPedal off:None on:1. Repeat for the other 4 buttons. Each button should also have Group set to 1. This will make it so that only one button can be turned on at any time. Turning on one button in the group will turn off all other buttons in the group.

Thanks - makes sense and sounds like its doable - I thought Exp Pedal 0, 1 etc were referring to actually physical pedals :) I will only have the one SP1-RJM hooked up to the one Exp port on my PBC 10

Few followup questions:

1. Actually 42 Exp pedal settings and 7 Groups - So I have seven Chase midi cc-able pedals with 6 knobs each and on PBC each has a dedicated button page - as you know the global tab Exp pedal settings are each device specific. So I would actually repeat your instructions 42 times and create 42 of them in Global Tab - 6 for each of the 7 devices - and I would have 7 Groups for each device, correct?
2. Where to purchase SP1-RJM expression pedal - appears the online retailers (Sweetwater etc) do not seem to carry them - so I just order directly from Mission Engineering themselves?
3. Using SP1-RJM foot switch button when on Device Button page- was thinking to use this to turn each of the 7 devices on/off when on the devices button page. Realize they are hooked up to the RJM function switch jack with TRS cable - I see how I could set the switch at the Preset Page - how would I do it on the Device's Button page?

Thanks - makes sense and sounds like its doable - I thought Exp Pedal 0, 1 etc were referring to actually physical pedals :) I will only have the one SP1-RJM hooked up to the one Exp port on my PBC 10

Few followup questions:

1. Actually 42 Exp pedal settings and 7 Groups - So I have seven Chase midi cc-able pedals with 6 knobs each and on PBC each has a dedicated button page - as you know the global tab Exp pedal settings are each device specific. So I would actually repeat your instructions 42 times and create 42 of them in Global Tab - 6 for each of the 7 devices - and I would have 7 Groups for each device, correct?

Correct, 1 group per pedal and 6 exp pedal settings blocks per pedal.

2. Where to purchase SP1-RJM expression pedal - appears the online retailers (Sweetwater etc) do not seem to carry them - so I just order directly from Mission Engineering themselves?
Yes, buying directly from Mission Engineering would be your best bet.

3. Using SP1-RJM foot switch button when on Device Button page- was thinking to use this to turn each of the 7 devices on/off when on the devices button page. Realize they are hooked up to the RJM function switch jack with TRS cable - I see how I could set the switch at the Preset Page - how would I do it on the Device's Button page?
Remeber that this is en External Switch input (where you connect another footswitch to the Mastermind) and not a Function Switch output (where the Mastermind acts as a footswitch for something else) The Function Switch settings in the Presets tab allows you to change the settings for the latter.

In the Buttons tab, go to page 1 and double click External Switch 1 (the upper switch of the two that are off to the right side). Turn off the Global checkbox. Now, you can go to each button page ,double click that same on-screen button and assign it to the Bypass CC for the desired pedal. Basically, you're just editing it like any other button on the Mastermind.

Ahh on your last point - yes your right I thought the SP1-RJM foot switch connected to one of the Function Switch jacks (thats good because I am currently using both of them for my Boss Looper and Tremolo and Reverb on my amp :)) Will connect it to external Switch input and yes see its easy to assign to Bypass CC for each midi device.

Ordered the SP1-RJM direct from Mission Engineering site - looking forward to controlling the pedal parameters with my foot!

Thanks for confirming the number of groups and exp pedal settings.

Yes, to go the Globals tab. In the Expression Pedals section, there's one entry at the top, then a larger section that says Exp Pedal 0, Exp Pedal 1, etc. Edit the first 6 of them so that the first one sends the first knob's CC to the pedal. the second one sends the second knob's CC, etc.

Then, on your first button, add an action: System / ExpPedal off:None on:0. On the second button, add a different action: System / ExpPedal off:None on:1. Repeat for the other 4 buttons. Each button should also have Group set to 1. This will make it so that only one button can be turned on at any time. Turning on one button in the group will turn off all other buttons in the group.
Received my SP1-RJM today and trying to set up with your instructions above.

But on your "on your first button, add an action: System / ExpPedal off:None on:0." there is no option for "None" for off state. Just Global, Preset, Same and Send and then the Exp Pedal numbers. Is there some way to get the None option to appear?

Sorry, I had it wrong, you probably would want to use Global there.
I see you have a None option for the Chase Bliss pedals in Global Tab for each pedal block setting. What if I set up a "None" Exp Pedal Block setting for each Chase device and then on the Button Page set the off state to that "None" Exp Pedal Block?

Thanks for confirming. I guess if I selected Global for Off state, it would change the Exp Pedal to the global setting? That might be desirable. I was going to set the global to volume using Volume parameter on one of my always on Chase pedals.

It all depends on what you want - if one of your special Chase Bliss expression pedal selections isn't active, what should the expression pedal do?

I guess while I am in the Chase Bliss device's button page I would want one of the 6 parameters always selected for expression pedal control. So I guess "None" for off state so the button stays on?

Setting the value to "None" affects the expression pedal, but it has no effect on the button state.

The feature you want is button grouping. Set the Group setting on each of the Chase Bliss related buttons to 1 (assuming that you're not using button group 1 for anything else). When multiple buttons are in a group, only one button will be allowed to be on at a time. And, if "Allow all buttons off" is turned off in group settings in the Globals tab, one of those buttons will always be on at any time.

Ahh I was confused on the grouping. I made 7 groups for each chase device/button page. They all should be in only one group for the one expression pedal?

Yes, the same group number for all buttons that you want to be linked with each other. In your case, you can only have one expression pedal setting at a time, so all buttons that select an expression pedal setting should have the same group number, and order to limit them to one button selected at a time.

Back