So, the Axe FX 3 was Announced

austin

How much effort is going to be involved in getting the GT to work with it? It seems quite a bit more involved than the Axe FX 2's and Fractal is producing their own Helix Control-style remote client footpedal for it, so I don't know how different communications with it will be. https://www.fractalaudio.com/iii/
-
Austin

Fractal: “The III can be controlled by any MIDI controller so controlling it with a MMGT should be no problem.”

Fractal: “The III can be controlled by any MIDI controller so controlling it with a MMGT should be no problem.”
I’m not worried about controlling it, I’m worried about easy implementation for channels, support for preset and scene name syncing, tempo, tuner, etc... And I’m not really worried, I just wanted to make sure it was on the radar :)
-
Austin

All the Midi Connections are 5 Pin Only ....
The GTs can't be powered via the AxeFX2 anyway though can they (at least the GT22 can't); it pass enough power. So it seems like you would use the same phantom power box you use now.

Austin

The GTs can't be powered via the AxeFX2 anyway though can they (at least the GT22 can't); it pass enough power. So it seems like you would use the same phantom power box you use now.

Austin
I have the MMGT22.... Hopefully it’ll
Work with the Axe III with the 5 Pin Midi Connections

I have the MMGT22.... Hopefully it’ll
Work with the Axe III with the 5 Pin Midi Connections

I'm sure that it'll work for basic preset recall, effect block control, etc. The other stuff like automatic updating of effect block buttons, tuner display, etc. is dependent on what Fractal did in their MIDI implementation. I should have some answers shortly.

I'm sure that it'll work for basic preset recall, effect block control, etc. The other stuff like automatic updating of effect block buttons, tuner display, etc. is dependent on what Fractal did in their MIDI implementation. I should have some answers shortly.
Thanks Ron.. I'm on the waiting list for the Axe FX III

EDIT: Good news, just heard from Cliff and everything will be available via MIDI. We should be able to implement some very nice support for the III! I misunderstood a previous conversation and didn't think it was going to be possible, but I'm happy to be wrong about that.

Last edited:
EDIT: Good news, just heard from Cliff and everything will be available via MIDI. We should be able to implement some very nice support for the III! I misunderstood a previous conversation and didn't think it was going to be possible, but I'm happy to be wrong about that.

Excellent news. It seems like there are lots of pros who use the RJM pedals so it wouldn't make sense to conceive of a new Axe FX that couldn't work with it as seamlessly as the Axe IIs do.
-
Austin

Last edited:
Awesome Thank you Ron for keeping us in The Loop !!!!

Great news

I'm saving back for the axe III mk2. Too many details ive ironed out, too much $$ and I'm willing to not be the first in line. Im sure Ron will work like a dog to make it work as smoothly as possible however. Im pretty sure the weakest link in my gear, is the operator. Until I manage to upgrade him.....

@rjmmusic

Okay Ron, here's an idea.

X/Y switching will replaced with channels in the Axe-Fx III. Many effects have up to 4 channels.

This poses the question: how can we select those channels (apart from presets and scenes). Well, a MIDI CC can be assigned to each effect's channel, and 4 CC values are assigned to the 4 channels.

So we can switch channels through presets, through scenes and with switches assigned to those CCs.

But, this leaves the question: how can we access those channels at will, without pre-programming?
Example: at a certain point in a song I want to switch to channel C of the phaser, but I haven't programmed it on forehand.

"IA Steps" offer sort of a solution, but not 100% and they still require programming on forehand.

It would be great if the MM GT can provide a channel select mechanism. Such as: press-and-hold the Phaser button to engage "Channel Select" mode, then step on switch 1-4 to select the channel. A single press still engages/bypasses the Phaser.

The actual state (ABCD) can be reflected through the button’s color.

Whadayathink?

Another suggestion: the III gets scene names. We already have Preset Menu and Song Menu commands in the GT, now let’s add a Scene Menu too!

Last edited:
Back