Strat mode vs Tele mode question...

middle_pickup

So I recently bought a Strat. Love the guitar. Never owned a single coil axe before. It's so much fun having access to new tones! I have always had humbucker guitars until now. My other guitar is a Thinline Tele with wide range humbuckers. They are higher output and warmer sounding than the single coils in the Strat. The two guitars need different pedal settings to get each their best sounds, which means I spend a lot of time managing knobs instead of playing guitar. I'm going to switch my board around soon to add a pedal that works better with the Strat. The new drive will be set specifically for the Strat and placed in loop 2.

My question is this: is it possible to create an IA button that will enact an if/then scenario? I have hundreds of presets in my current .rjm file. Most of them have my Walrus Audio Voyager (loop 3) enabled. I would like this hypothetical IA button to swap the Voyager in loop 3 for the drive in loop 2. My hope is to create a Strat vs Tele mode IA button that will keep me from making all new presets. I only want this button to work on presets that have loop 3 engaged. I also have a bunch of presets that use the RAT distortion in loop 5. The Strat likes that pretty okay as is. I don't need to change the Rat presets.

This would add a lot of flexibility to my rig. The button's changes will need to persist across all the presets in a song of course. It would be inconvenient to have to hit the IA button after every preset change in a song. Hope this is possible. I'm currently poking around with the PBC edit app trying to figure it out.

There isn't really any way to do that, sorry. I deal with the Strat issue by using an EP booster, turning that on when using a Strat in order to correct for the level difference. Some presets are programmed with it turned on, or I can lock the loop in the on state if using the Strat all the time.

Another idea is to simply put both pedals in loop 3 and manually switch between the two when switching guitars. Loop 3 will activate whichever pedal is turned on at the moment.

There isn't really any way to do that, sorry. I deal with the Strat issue by using an EP booster, turning that on when using a Strat in order to correct for the level difference. Some presets are programmed with it turned on, or I can lock the loop in the on state if using the Strat all the time.

Another idea is to simply put both pedals in loop 3 and manually switch between the two when switching guitars. Loop 3 will activate whichever pedal is turned on at the moment.
I'll just put the new drive in the same loop as the Voyager and switch them when I switch guitars. That's actually a better solution. I was way overthinking it. Thanks for the help!

Another option I've seen guys do is to get an EQ pedal...something like the Source Audio that is programmable with different presets.

You could engage it for one guitar and turn it off for the other...or use 2 presets on it, one for each guitar. It also doubles as a clean boost...AND, you can do lots of other stuff with it (mid boost for leads, etc.).

I have the Source Audio EQ and it's awesome. I use 3 of its 4 presets. 1 for single coils, 1 for P90s and one for Humbuckers. I control it from my MIDI page with Update on Preset Change left unchecked so that I only need to change it when I change guitars.

Yea I keep an RC booster in front that gets used with my strat. Its a common thing to be messing with between guitars. I went through the same thing a few years ago when I joined the strat world coming from humbuckers. I've learned to adjust for the level and initial tone with the RC booster. After that I use the tone knob a lot on the strat. The rest is the strat character I am looking for anyways. Glad you found a nice simpler solution with the two drive pedals too. That is also a great idea. MIght have to consider something like that myself.

Back