Strymon MIDI Clock

shoelesscraig

This was kind of talked about in another thread, but just so it's easy to find, I figured I'd put it here...

I had issues with the Strymon Timeline and Midi clock. Specifically, the Timeline works fine when sent a tempo of say 80 BPM or 81 BPM...but if you tried to send it 80.5 BPM, it would just bounce between 80 and 81 (even though it's capable of showing a fractional number). You can obviously manually program a preset with 80.5, but it wouldn't do it for Midi Clock.

(Note, I used 80.5 as an example above...but I'm talking about ANY tempo that is not a whole number, on any algorithm...55.5 is a problem...so is 99.5).

I contacted Strymon and was told (paraphrasing) "yep, we were able to recreate your problem...but we're not going to fix it. Just don't program half tempos". I've contacted Strymon an a couple of issues over the years like this and this is the response I get (usually). After spending $450+ on a delay pedal, you'd think the customer service would be great. I understand that we're talking a half a BPM here...I get it. But, again, super expensive pedal on a board with a PBC...I should be able to do that. Unless I'm wrong, other pedals work fine with Midi Clock and fractional tempo.

Whatever....rant over! Just thought someone else may run into this...

I remember reading your concerns. I'm a natural number type of guy so it wouldn't affect me:). Since Strymon does show 10ths, you'd think it could read them. They should at least remove the 10th digit resolution so that folks like you aren't forced to troubleshoot a problem...or at minimum update the specs in the manual. The pedals are rather pricey as you suggested...It seems many who use them, have at least two on their board (me included)...that can be a large investment for many.

I don't think this is a deal breaker for most. It's a shame that they responded as they did. They probably could have worded it a bit better.

Back