System / Set IA action

rjmmusic

Administrator
Staff member
Firmware 4.3 introduces a new action: System / Set IA. This allows one IA button to set the state of another. This should allow for some more complex configurations - I'll be interested to see what people come up with.

Each IA button now has an IA ID number, which can range from 0 to 255. An ID of 0 is the default, and is always ignored - Set IA will never affect a button that has an ID of 0. You can assign the same ID number to more than one IA button if you want.

The Set IA action looks like this:
System / Set IA IA:12 off:0 on:1

IA is the ID number - in this example, the action will affect all IA buttons with ID#12. Off value and on value are the desired button states. On a normal (non-cycle) IA button, 0 turns the button off and 1 turns the button on. On an IA cycle button, values 0 through 3 select steps 1 through 4 respectively.

You can set it up so that one button turns a second button, the second button turns on a third, etc. The only thing the system won't allow is loops (button A changes button B, then button B changes button A). A button can only be affected by a Set IA action once per preset change or IA button press. This prevents you from locking up the system.

Questions? Let me know!

Questions? Let me know!
So I could have one button turn on multiple effects at once by having those effects assigned to their own IAs and then the One Button to Rule Them All turn all those other buttons to ON?

Cool.

Is it a sync'ed state mapping? i.e. if the One Button is ON all other IAs will be turned ON? Or can I do reverse state mappings on a button-by-button basis? I could see using One Button to switch things off and on in kind of an A/B settings type deal.

This could be particularly awesome used with IAs across multiple devices. Scenes or A/B states, but device independent.

Edit: I should just try the beta...

Last edited:
Mappings are one-way, but of course you can use two one-way mappings to make it work both ways. That, plus the ability to specify "None" as an on or off value gives you some flexibility - a button could change another button when turned on, but do nothing when turned off (or vice versa).

I need to look into uses for this. It sounds like it can do a lot (or a little) with some planning on layout.

First time poster here, can the following be done:

Button A - ID=1 - has 2 step IA Cycle (for 2 different presets via PC send)
Button B - ID=1
Button C - ID=1

So for Button A, for each cycle (in this case 2), add a additional step to change the state of Button B/C by using:
System / Set IA IA:1 off:none on:0

Would the above work? Would that also turn itself off since Button A also has ID=1?

I'm trying to achieve the following:

Button A - has two presets (via IA Cycle) for Device A
Button B - has three presets (via IA Cycle) for Device A
Button C - has four presets (via IA Cycle) for Device A

And since they are IA Cycle, the group functionality doesn't seem to be working (i.e. turning off the other buttons when one of them is engaged).

Hopefully i haven't confused anyone, i just got my Mastermind Lt few days ago... this is my first time dealing with MIDI stuff... man its like a whole new world!!!.

Spinach

I think that should work. A button can't Set IA itself, so you shouldn't run into any issues of that kind.

I think that should work. A button can't Set IA itself, so you shouldn't run into any issues of that kind.

Thanks. It did work, had to do the following (in case others want to try):

Button A
  • Set ID 1
  • IA Cycle - 4 States (1st State being OFF)
Action:
  1. Add Step (to cater for the initial OFF state)
  2. Send PCxx to Device A
  3. Set IA 2 to 1st State (OFF)
  4. Set IA 3 to 1st State (OFF)
  5. Repeat steps 1-4
And do the same for Button B (ID 2) and C (ID 3):
  • Button B - Set IA 1 to OFF, Set IA 3 to OFF
  • Button C - Set IA 1 to OFF, Set IA 2 to OFF

Now I have a "grouped" button in which I can cycle through different presets that were categorized and assign in a button. A lot of work, but worth it.

Now, my other question, is there a way to copy "Actions" within the "IA Actions", so I don't need to keep clicking "New Action" or "Add CC Action" and changing the values for each "Action"...

Spinach

Thanks. It did work, had to do the following (in case others want to try):

Button A
  • Set ID 1
  • IA Cycle - 4 States (1st State being OFF)
Action:
  1. Add Step (to cater for the initial OFF state)
  2. Send PCxx to Device A
  3. Set IA 2 to 1st State (OFF)
  4. Set IA 3 to 1st State (OFF)
  5. Repeat steps 1-4
And do the same for Button B (ID 2) and C (ID 3):
  • Button B - Set IA 1 to OFF, Set IA 3 to OFF
  • Button C - Set IA 1 to OFF, Set IA 2 to OFF

Now I have a "grouped" button in which I can cycle through different presets that were categorized and assign in a button. A lot of work, but worth it.

Now, my other question, is there a way to copy "Actions" within the "IA Actions", so I don't need to keep clicking "New Action" or "Add CC Action" and changing the values for each "Action"...

Spinach

The above is helpful. I tried to take it one step further and got stuck. (I am using a Mastermind PBC with latest firmware). In addition to the above, I would like to control the on/off state of the Loop to which the pedal is attached. This is akin to the "Button Group" action feature which you can use to turn on a loop when any of the buttons in the group is pressed and to turn it off when all of the buttons are off.

I tried to do this by adding a Loop "Off" action to the Step 0 of Buttons A, B, and C and then a Loop "On" action to each of the non-zero steps. It worked fine when cycling through the steps for a single button, but when going across buttons it looks like this approach ended up with multiple buttons trying to control the state of the loop and it didn't work.

Anyone else tried to accomplish something like this?

Back