Tempos: Song or Same?

Piplodocus

I'm currently shifting from an MM LT to a PBC and keep finding a few odd things in some of my patches, then end up doubting how well I know this thing...

Generally I reuse some regular patches across multiple songs and control tempo using the song tempo. First preset of a song change updates to the new tempo. But if I then tap tempo to correct because the drummer is overexcited or tired, it then seems to stay that tapped tempo for the rest of the song. It doesn't seem to update or try to go back to the original "song" tempo on the next preset change, it only changes on the next song change (which is generally what I want).

So if a preset is set to use tempo "song", I presume it only updates on the first preset change of the song? Then other presets of "song" tempo don't update it unless it's part of a song change? Seems that way, but would like to confirm.

I presume it doesn't: update to song tempo regardless of preset tempo on song change, and then it should kinda use "same" on all those presets (so it always stays the same, but still updates on song?

I have ignore preset tempos turned on too. So maybe it should kinda be presets on "same" if this setting was off, but currently works because of that being on? Just would be nice to know the heirarchy of what bit is forcing a change or lack of it, as I have more pedals and more buttons now, so may well have plans to stop using "ignore preset tempos" so I can go to "off" and unsync MIDI clock for some specific expression pedal time warping shenanigans...

If Ignore Preset Tempos is turned on, then it's going to do exactly that - the tempo setting in each preset doesn't matter at all. If you're only using song-level tempos, then tapped tempos are retained until you change to another song.

If Ignore Preset Tempos is turned on, then it's going to do exactly that - the tempo setting in each preset doesn't matter at all. If you're only using song-level tempos, then tapped tempos are retained until you change to another song.
So if "Ignore Preset Tempos" is turned off (for reasons of my last paragraph), can I make it still change with song change, but if tapped, stay on the tap tempo until the next song by changing all presets to "same"? i.e. does it always change at song change with preset = same, as long as the song has a tempo set? Or will preset = "same" override any song tempo, then not change with the song?

So if "Ignore Preset Tempos" is turned off (for reasons of my last paragraph), can I make it still change with song change, but if tapped, stay on the tap tempo until the next song by changing all presets to "same"? i.e. does it always change at song change with preset = same, as long as the song has a tempo set? Or will preset = "same" override any song tempo, then not change with the song?
It should still preserve tapped tempos within a song, if all preset tempos are set to Same.

Back