Timeline PC/CC preset engage problem

Chuck Hanning

So I just upgraded my strymon timeline to ver 1.84 of their firmware. Everything seems ok except now my presets on the pbc that use the timeline still select the correct preset (PC message) but the timeline is always in bypass mode, not active.
So I added cc toggle message to the presets of cc102 to value 127, which according to their webpage should cause the timeline to engage the preset but still no luck.
Anybody else having this problem?
Thanks,
Chuck

I've been running this firmware (1.84) for months now with no issue. Must be something in your settings. Can you post your PBC file? I'll take a look.

Almost always this is due to some IA button somewhere set up to bypass the pedal, and that button is programmed to send its message(s) on preset change.

And that's indeed what it was. I had sent my settings file to Ron and he found exactly that. I had created a page to audition presets on various midi devices, which was part of setting up presets on the PBC. On that page I had a hold function to bypass the various midi devices, and it was set up as send and update on preset change. I didn't really understand the impact that IA actions have on other presets even when that page was not in use.

So turning off update/send on preset change got rid of the problem.

I have another new question. In version 4.09 of the software there are now buttons for pc messages for each device that you set the program you want on the device.
Yet I have still be setting up PC messages as part of the actions. Is this redundant or do I still need to set up the PC action?

Thanks,
Chuck

If you're using Device PC -/+ buttons, then don't put actions on those buttons, they aren't needed. Having those actions there could result in the same conflict you had before (if those buttons have send/update on preset change turned on)

I'm adding pc message in Presets function, not in the device PC +/- buttons.

When I first started using v4 of the PBC firmware, I did not have pc messages in the presets and sometimes the h9 or timeline didn't change program when I was changing presets, so I figured they were needed. After reading the pbc editor manual, I was wondering if I really needed them.

Chuck

Do you mean preset actions, or the PC Messages boxes in the Presets tab? You definitely don't want to use preset actions to send PCs. However, the Device PC -/+ buttons work with the PC Messages settings in each preset - the PC -/+ buttons adjust that PC number stored in the current preset.

So I guess I'm confusing the PC messages box in the Buttons tab within a preset vs. having a PC Action under the Preset Actions tab in the presets.

If you have the checkbox on for the PC Messages with the PC number when looking at the buttons tab, do you still need a PC action to select a particular program on a midi device under preset actions? Or does enabling the check box in PC messages make that unnecessary?

When I first tried using just the check box in PC messages in the buttons tab the H9 or Timeline didn't always change programs, if I had been using a different PBC preset. So I added PC action for particular program number on the midi device under preset action and that seemed to solve the problem. But maybe something else was wrong?
Chuck

800px-PBC_Presets_Tab-V4.png
http://www.rjmmusic.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:PBC_Presets_Tab-V4.png

You don't need a preset action if you're using the PC Messages box. Generally, I don't recommend using preset actions at all, except for some special cases.

The PC message sending should be reliable. One thing to try is turn on the "Send Redundant PCs" for that device in the Devices tab. If that doesn't help, there's probably a conflict somewhere, maybe IA buttons that are sending PCs too. I can have a look at your settings if needed.

Back