Unable to connect to device

Running Mac OS Big Sur on two different devices (one iMac, one MacBook Pro). Have been able to, in the past, connect to my GT/22 using either device but now no matter which computer I try I get the unable to connect message. I've upgraded the firmware to 5.0.1 and the editor on both computers to 5.0.1 (I have an older GT/22 that uses a USB stick to load). I've tried multiple cables, multiple ways of connecting (direct, through hub, through a different hub, etc.) all to no avail. The GT/22 seems to work fine when connecting to my AXE FX III. I'm able to load songs and change patches so midi functions fine. The funny thing about this is I'm actually trying to download the current configuration because I have another very weird problem that occurs and wanted the latest configuration to share. Any ideas? Could the USB chip inside of the GT/22 have gone bad?

I also did all of the above on 4.9.1 and received the same message both on FW 4.9.1 and editor 4.9.1 which again worked on both computers in the past.

Thanks!

It's possible that the USB port has gone bad. I recommend downloading MIDI Monitor from snoize.com. Run it with the GT connected, open up the Sources pane, then the MIDI Sources item under that. Does Mastermind GT show up there?

It's possible that the USB port has gone bad. I recommend downloading MIDI Monitor from snoize.com. Run it with the GT connected, open up the Sources pane, then the MIDI Sources item under that. Does Mastermind GT show up there?
It does, so I'm assuming that means that the port itself is fine because it was recognized and communications are occurring between the GT/22 and my Mac.

Here's the output of MIDI Monitor along with the error message and the hex data. F0 00 01 5B 04 0E 50 01 F7

Attachments

• error message.jpg
    error message.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 2
Ok, please run another test for me:

First, go into the Settings menu for MIDI Monitor. Under Sources, make sure that "Spy on output to destinations" is checked.

Now, make sure the same item is checked in the MIDI Sources section in the main window.

Try to connect to device again using the editor. Send me a screenshot again, and then double click the Sysex line to expand it, and send a screenshot of that as well.

On the GT itself, go into the setup menu, select MIDI Settings, and see what Sysex ID is set to. There's a bug that causes problems if Sysex ID is set to 4. In 5.0.1, it's supposed to not allow the ID to be set to 4 and will change it to 5 if needed.

If that's not it, I recommend backing up the GT settings to a flash drive, then factory resetting it. See if it connects then.

Fixed! The Sysex ID was set to 255. I set it to 5 and it connected straight away and the error inside of MIDI Monitor disappeared. Thank you!

Interesting. It shouldn't allow itself to be set to anything higher than 127. I'm glad you found the issue!

You found the issue! Best company and support hands down. Now on to a real head scratcher. I'll create a new thread for this one :)

Back