Use Onsong to Control Preset and Scenes?

Mkeditor

Has anyone used Onsong to control preset and scene changes to the Axe-FX via an RJM MMGT? I sometimes play in a cover band and it could be useful to have a preset assigned to a song change via Onsong. That way if the set changes I only have to change Onsong. It would also lesson the time between songs. Thoughts?

I don't know anything about Onsong, but check out the "External MIDI Control" section of the GT manual. It shows how to set up preset and/or song selection via MIDI, and should be able to do what you need.

I haven’t used OnSong for many years, I switched to SetList Maker/Bandhelper a long time ago and what you’re about is asking exactly what I do, or did do. If onsong has many of the same features as setlist maker/bandhelper then there should be a section to put in the PC for the preset and a CC for the Scene you want. I had these all programmed directly into bandhelper until a few weeks ago when decided to create a bunch of presets in the MMGT for all the songs I do and program the PC changes into the MMGT preset. All I do now in bandhelper is send the PC to the MMGT to choose that preset. I know I don’t need to actively have 512 accessible presets in the axe FX 3 and the MMGT has more than that anyway. So on the MMGT from preset 385 on up all the presets are song names and all the program changes and control changes for all my devices are built in. I would think you could at least do this with OnSong. However I should mention that I find it easier to just use the “IA Store” feature on the MMGT for things like scene selection or individual effects on the axe FX. I just pull up the preset on the MMGT it in turn pulls up the preset on the axe fx. If I want scene 2 for that song I select scene 2 then hit IA Store and it remembers to select that scene for that song. Sorry for rambling, just thought I’d offer a couple of options thinking at least one if not both could achieve what you’re wanting to do.. And by the way it’s a great idea. A little extra planning and programming at home means less headaches when you‘re at the gig.

I'm excited to try this with my cover band. Ideally I would use the ipad to program change via OnSong to the RJM MMGT and FracPad to do any tweaks to the Axe-FX III. If I connect to the ipad to the USB B port on the MMGT, is it possible to have FracPad send midi information to the Axe-FX?

When you say you want to use fracpad to tweak axe fx 3 what kind of tweaks are you talking about? Like adjusting tones and levels during the gig? It might work with onsong and maybe even with fracpad as opposed to using axe edit. But I’ll just say that while I’m at home setting up presets and tones from my computer (there’sa Mac version of BandHelper) I can’t have BandHelper and axe edit open at the same time. Maybe fracpad works differently but Axe edit has immediate interactive changes between it and the axe fx. To accomplish that the amount of midi data that is going back and forth between them is staggering and it crashes BandHelper. If you find that you’re able to run onsong and fracpad at the same time let me know, I’m curious. I can run the MMGT editor along side BandHelper and can send changes to device but a read changes from device crashes BandHelper about 80% of the time. But I can live with that.

I use FracPad to Make adjustments in rehearsal. Usually it's levels. I don't need it to run the same time as OnSong. I'm going to test it this afternoon. As a side note, I'm in total celebration of being able to have OnSong do program changes. This is awesome!

Back