VOLUME dB ADJUSTMENT on presets of the Mastermind LT?

EVHGuy1111

Hello,
Always loving the RJM. I'm a total convert since I purchased my MMLT and MEGX this year.

Was wondering though. Some effects I have in the MEGX post preamp (routed in the Effects Loop of my amp with the MEGX) have great tonal quality but seem to increase noticeably in volume.

EXAMPLE: I have an EHX Pitch Fork in the effects loop and whenever it is engaged the volume increases probably 2-4dB. Same for my MXR Micro Flanger.

If I put the pedals pre-amp stage instead of in the effects loop it solves the dB increase issue but the tonal quality suffers, muddy, less defined... just not as sonically pleasing as when the pedals are in the effects loop.

Is there a way to assign set volume dB decreases on MMLT presets that will only effect the signal chain when the preset is engaged so I can solve these issues?

THANKS!

The Mastermind can certainly send MIDI commands to a device that adjusts volume, but since the LT isn't in the audio path, it can't affect volume in any other way. The MEGX also doesn't alter volume levels. You'll need something else in the amp's loop that can adjust levels - some MIDI enabled pedal with an output level control. We also have a MIDI VCA coming out this fall that could do this job.

The Mastermind can certainly send MIDI commands to a device that adjusts volume, but since the LT isn't in the audio path, it can't affect volume in any other way. The MEGX also doesn't alter volume levels. You'll need something else in the amp's loop that can adjust levels - some MIDI enabled pedal with an output level control. We also have a MIDI VCA coming out this fall that could do this job.
But it wouldn't work on analog only pedals I'm assuming. The problem I'm having is with analog flanger and harmonizer pedals... they don't have MIDI input or capability.

Putting a VCA or MIDI enabled pedal after your pedals in the signal path would work, but there's nothing you can do to automatically adjust volume levels on non-MIDI enabled pedal without extra equipment.

I’ll look into it! Thanks!

Just curious, off the top of your head are there any VCA MIDI pedals that have multil channels so I could put the 2 pedals I’m having issues with on it (and have their signals independently routed) rather than buying 2 VCA MIDI pedals? Just curious, I’ll still do my own research.

THANKS!

I’ll look into it! Thanks!

Just curious, off the top of your head are there any VCA MIDI pedals that have multil channels so I could put the 2 pedals I’m having issues with on it (and have their signals independently routed) rather than buying 2 VCA MIDI pedals? Just curious, I’ll still do my own research.

THANKS!
If they're both in the effect loop, all you would need is one VCA. You could either put the VCA in a loop after the two pedals, or put it in between the PBC and the amp's loop return.

If they're both in the effect loop, all you would need is one VCA. You could either put the VCA in a loop after the two pedals, or put it in between the PBC and the amp's loop return.
I have all my pedals on individual loops in my MEGX so I’m not sure how they would both be able to be on a single VCA and still have their own individual loops in the MEGX…

Maybe I has a dumb

The VCA isn't in a loop with either pedal, it comes after both pedals so it can boost the volume of whichever pedals are on. Basically, you just need to make sure that the level coming back to the loop return is high enough, right?

The VCA isn't in a loop with either pedal, it comes after both pedals so it can boost the volume of whichever pedals are on. Basically, you just need to make sure that the level coming back to the loop return is high enough, right?
Sure… but I won’t always be using both the pedals in the same MEGX/MMLT preset… which is why they need to be on their own loop in the MEGX.

Are you saying the VCA is on its own MEGX loop after the other pedals and just include it in any preset that uses pen or both of them?

It can be used in its own loop, or not in a loop at all, connected between the MEGX and the amp's loop return.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but... Ron, when you have some more info to share on the MIDI VCA device, please know that I (and probably quite a few others) are very excited to hear about it! Thanks for coming out with very useful products in the area of midi and audio routing and control!!!

I'm still working out some last minute details on it, but hopefully I'll have something to share in the next couple of weeks.

Fantastic! I recently saw an episode of Tone-Talk where you said that you have quite a few things in the pipeline and I hope that these parts supply timelines finally return to normal soon!

Back