Volume Pedal Probs Into Mastermind

Matthew Terrado

I’m having issues with the sweep of my volume pedal when I have it in the mastermind. There’s basically no gradual increase in volume when I sweep the pedal from heel to toe. At first I thought it was the pot of my pedal (I’m using a Fractal EV-2) so I bought a Dunlop mini to replace it but I’m having the same issues with the Dunlop. Both pedals work fine when they’re in front of the mastermind and only act up when I have them in either of the insert points of the mastermind (out 1-4, in 5-6 or out 5-6, in 7-10).

Any idea what would be causing this? I’m at a loss.

Do you have any loops on when testing this? The volume pedal could be interacting with the impedance of one of your other pedals. Also, make sure your cables are good. A partial short in the cable can cause this kind of problem.

Do you have any loops on when testing this? The volume pedal could be interacting with the impedance of one of your other pedals. Also, make sure your cables are good. A partial short in the cable can cause this kind of problem.

I have loops off when testing. I made a bizarre discovery today. Both volume pedals work with every preset I have on one specific song. They work with the loops on and off within the song. Once I switch to other songs, the volume pedals both act up. The only thing thats different between the song that works and the ones that don't are loops/midi changes. I have all buffers off globally. I'm scratching my head over this one :confused:.

I had a the same issue
I use my volume pedal as a global but should still be the same
if you go to RJM edit software and select your expression pedal you will see 2 commands on the continous controllers
Turn one off and writ changes to device ( if that dosent work try the other one and turn the first one back on ( pending on your controller numbers )
Device - CC number - Min Value - Max Value
Decice - CC number - Min Value - Max Value

You must write your changed settings to the device (GTMM ) each time you maker changes on your software ( i use a laptop whilst set up is playable )

RJM admin may be able to assist more but i reckon this is your issue for sure

I had a the same issue
I use my volume pedal as a global but should still be the same
if you go to RJM edit software and select your expression pedal you will see 2 commands on the continous controllers
Turn one off and writ changes to device ( if that dosent work try the other one and turn the first one back on ( pending on your controller numbers )
Device - CC number - Min Value - Max Value
Decice - CC number - Min Value - Max Value

You must write your changed settings to the device (GTMM ) each time you maker changes on your software ( i use a laptop whilst set up is playable )

RJM admin may be able to assist more but i reckon this is your issue for sure
Thanks for chiming in! Interesting! I’ll definitely give this a shot and report back. What do you mean that you use your volume pedal as a global?

Using as Global means - It is set to a volume pedal irrespective of the localised block signal chains that make up each sound
In other words i dont have to put the volume pedal in the signal chain for it to work as a volume pedal - Something i like for more control over my sound dynamics
Make sure your pedal is calibrated and for volume min value 0 max value 127

I think there's some confusion here. It sounds to me that Matthew Is using the volume pedal as an actual volume pedal, not an expression pedal. Globa, calibration, etc. only apply when using the pedal as an expression pedal.

It sounds like you have an impedance issue between your volume pedal and one of your other pedals. Try turning on your pedals, one at a time, and test the volume pedal each time. You should be able to identify which pedal is the culprit.

I am using it as a volume pedal also
I have 2 x Mission RJM Pedals
My Wah or Expression is in Pedal 1 input
My Volume ( set as Global Volume) is in Pedal 2 input - ( working Perfectly now on any preset )
All Pedals need to be calibrated before use no matter their function - quite easily using the mastermind

My issue was very similar to Mathews ((out 1-4, in 5-6 or out 5-6, in 7-10) as my volume Pedal was getting 2 commands at the same time and similar inconsistencies in volume swell. ( you could see mine change thru A,B,C.D on axe edit whilst i was using the pedal)

I simply took away one of those commands as stated above and now working perfect

There is a lot i still need to learn but this worked for me Cheers

I am using it as a volume pedal also
I have 2 x Mission RJM Pedals
My Wah or Expression is in Pedal 1 input
My Volume ( set as Global Volume) is in Pedal 2 input - ( working Perfectly now on any preset )
All Pedals need to be calibrated before use no matter their function - quite easily using the mastermind

My issue was very similar to Mathews ((out 1-4, in 5-6 or out 5-6, in 7-10) as my volume Pedal was getting 2 commands at the same time and similar inconsistencies in volume swell. ( you could see mine change thru A,B,C.D on axe edit whilst i was using the pedal)

I simply took away one of those commands as stated above and now working perfect

There is a lot i still need to learn but this worked for me Cheers
When you had your volume pedal using the inserts, did you somehow have it hooked up to the expression jack on the mastermind as well? I’m having a hard time understanding how I can calibrate the pedal with the mastermind when I’m using it as an analog volume pedal because I don’t have it hooked up to the expression jack on the mastermind. I suppose I could try hooking it straight to the expression jack and taking it out of the signal chain like you suggested!

Sorry i assumed you were plugging into the expression pedal jacks on the mastermind
You have to use a TRS Cable ( not a standard cable ) so your pedal may not be compatible to plug in this way
Your Fractal Pedal could plug into the mastermind - your dunlop may have to go thru the fx loop
how do you connect it at the moment?

Sorry i assumed you were plugging into the expression pedal jacks on the mastermind
You have to use a TRS Cable ( not a standard cable ) so your pedal may not be compatible to plug in this way
Your Fractal Pedal could plug into the mastermind - your dunlop may have to go thru the fx loop
how do you connect it at the moment?
Both the fractal and Dunlop can be used as expression pedals so I could plug them into the expression pedal jack on the mastermind if I wanted to. I didn’t know that I could control volume via expression on the mastermind like you do. Currently I have it after my drives coming out of the out 5-6 jack>volume pedal>in 7-10 jack before it hits my modulation and wet effects.

When you set as a global you can have before the chain or after the chain
I use it after the chain
Ill get back to you with settings
Global Settings in axe and global pedal in MM

When you set as a global you can have before the chain or after the chain
I use it after the chain
Ill get back to you with settings
Global Settings in axe and global pedal in MM
Just to clarify, I don’t have an axe fx. I’m just using the fractal ev-2 as a volume pedal. When you’re not using the ev-2 as an expression pedal, you can use it as an analog volume pedal but if it’s possible to use it as an expression pedal with the mastermind to act like a volume pedal, I’m all ears.

Back