A Couple MIDI Programming Questions

PianoMan

Hey all! I just got my PBC last week and have been playing around with it for the last couple days. I've slowly been figuring it out, but I have a couple issues with MIDI programming it with my Strymon pedals that I can't seem to resolve on my own. Hopefully you all can help me with them? If it matters, I've updated the PBC and Editor to their respective most recent versions (though the editor tells me the PBC is at version 3.1.9 when the PBC says it's 3.1.10?)

1) When I switch presets, the PBC seems to be sending MIDI CC information, as continually switching presets will actually change the tempo on my Strymon pedals. As far as I can find, I've disabled any option where I send CC information on preset change with no luck. This will not be an issue most of the time, but I can think of a few instances where it could throw my rig off in the middle of a set.

2) When I switch to the global preset on the PBC, my Strymon pedals switch to their assigned presets as they should. If I switch back to the PBC preset I had been on previously however, The Strymons do not switch back to the previous preset. If I switch to a different preset on the PBC than what I had been on previously, it does switch presets correctly on the Strymons.

Thanks all!

Do you have a PC or Mac with a MIDI interface, by any chance? It would be very helpful to see what's being sent by the PBC.

I'm not sure what would cause the second issue, but the first thing to try is make sure that Send Redundant PCs is turned on for the Strymon pedal device entries on the Devices page.

I do have a MIDI interface. How would I go about seeing what the PBC is sending?

I'll try the Send Redundant PCs option tonight and post the results.

Thanks!

You'll need a MIDI Monitor program like MIDI-OX on the PC or Snoize MIDI Monitor on the Mac. A lot of DAW software also includes a MIDI monitor. Just connect the MIDI interface input to the PBC MIDI output, run the program, set it to read from your MIDI interface and it should start displaying info on the screen when you select a preset on the PBC. I just need a screenshot of the output from one preset change - that should tell us what's going on.

Here's what I recorded on a preset change. The CC for chorus depth that it's sending out is CC93 - the CC for tap tempo on Strymons.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 9
So just for kicks I tried resetting to factory settings and everything works perfectly. No idea what was different, but I think I'm just going to rebuild my programming bit by bit, testing as I go.

On that note, another question: is there any way to change the display so that the top line shows the song name and the bottom line shows the preset name?

Ok, sending a single tap tempo CC like that would cause a problem. You must have a tap tempo button somewhere, make sure that Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change are turned off for that button.

2) When I switch to the global preset on the PBC, my Strymon pedals switch to their assigned presets as they should. If I switch back to the PBC preset I had been on previously however, The Strymons do not switch back to the previous preset. If I switch to a different preset on the PBC than what I had been on previously, it does switch presets correctly on the Strymons.

When you say the Strymons "switch to their assigned presets" are you talking about PC changes on the Strymons? You're using the PC commands on the PBC right? Not switching presets through CC commands, right? Just trying to help...

I have a Global on my PBC that switches the preset on my Timeline and Bigsky and I have no issues going to a new preset or the previous preset. Any chance you can post your PBC file?

When you say the Strymons "switch to their assigned presets" are you talking about PC changes on the Strymons? You're using the PC commands on the PBC right? Not switching presets through CC commands, right? Just trying to help...

I have a Global on my PBC that switches the preset on my Timeline and Bigsky and I have no issues going to a new preset or the previous preset. Any chance you can post your PBC file?

I'm talking about PC commands. The Strymon would switch presets to the one specified in the Editor in all cases except when going from the Global Preset to the preset I had previously been on.

I could post my PBC file later, but I've started rebuilding it from scratch and it's been working perfectly, so I'm not too worried about it.

I'm talking about PC commands. The Strymon would switch presets to the one specified in the Editor in all cases except when going from the Global Preset to the preset I had previously been on.

I could post my PBC file later, but I've started rebuilding it from scratch and it's been working perfectly, so I'm not too worried about it.

Just out of curiosity, how do you do your Global? Do you have a button for it, or do you do a 2nd press on the current preset to get to the Global? I do the 2nd press and have never had any issues.

Just out of curiosity, how do you do your Global? Do you have a button for it, or do you do a 2nd press on the current preset to get to the Global? I do the 2nd press and have never had any issues.

I've planned on using 2nd Press. I think I tried both methods with this error though.

Back