Remote mode / Remote in

Jop

Hi,

Is it possible to have two GT's connected in remote mode, while also using remote in to connect a device to the first GT in the chain?

I currently have one GT which controls my rig (axe fx III and some other stuff) which is located side stage, and also a moog synth located front stage. It's hooked up through the 'remote in' port because using a midi splitter in between the GT and the axe fx causes problems. I'm looking to add an extra GT side stage for my tech, would this conflict with the settings I have for my synth?

Cheers!

Midi chain would be:
Schermafbeelding 2019-09-09 om 16.32.09.png

Yes, you can do that, as long as you have the correct adapter cable to convert the Remote In to an output. The GT will send periodic Sysex messages to the Moog - it's looking for another GT plugged into the Remote In, but as long as the Moog does what it's supposed to and ignore unrecognized Sysex, it should be ok.

Reactions: Jop
Hi, I have a follow up question: would there be any harm in accidentally connecting a phantom powered 7 pin midi cable into the remote in port?

Cheers

Hi, I have a follow up question: would there be any harm in accidentally connecting a phantom powered 7 pin midi cable into the remote in port?

Cheers

There would be no problem. Even though it's a 7 pin connector, the phantom power pins on the Remote In are not connected to anything internally.

Reactions: Jop
Hi,

Just tested, and in when the second unit is connected the midi messages don't appear at the remote in jack. Is there any settings that should be altered? I've attached my settings file.

Regards,
Jop

Attachments

• mmgt.rjs
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
To be clear, I checked with a midi monitor. The midi PC's for channel 8 (moog) are only sent when the extra GT isn't connected.

Ah, you're right, if a unit thinks it's a remote, it will only communicate with the other GT. I forgot about that. I'll see if that can be corrected in some reasonable way. It should communicate on a port that's not being used for inter-GT communication.

Thanks for the information. Right now I cant use the second gt since I need the extra midi output at front of stage for the synth. A correction or workaround would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Hi Ron, do you think a correction will be possible in the near future? I'm leaving on tour next weekend and am debating whether I should bring the second GT.

It's not something that could be done quickly, I'm afraid. I would have to do some fundamental changes to how the MIDI code works, and there's a lot of potential for that to break things.

Okay, good to know, thanks. Sounds like a long shot, indeed. I'll shelve the GT for now, and check in in a little while. If it isn't going to happen I'll have to sell the second unit or try to find a workaround.

Back