Selah Quartz users?

middle_pickup

I'm going to add the Quartz v3 to my rig. I would like to be able to set separate subdivisions to my different tap tempo pedals, and I need to free up function switches for other things. I'm reading through Selah's user manual, and I'm trying to see how I can use it.

2 questions.

First off, does the PBC edit app have MIDI support profiles for the v3 Quartz? I added it to my device list and poked around in the presets window to see if I could figure out how it would work for me. In the preset actions tab you see the Quartz, but the CC numbers don't look like they're assigned to what the pedal needs.

Secondly, how are you guys using your Quartz? It seems like it's a pretty deep device. They added even more features with v3. I really only want to use it to receive the MIDI clock from the PBC10 and send tap tempo to my DMM and DD-5. I also need to be able to set the subdivision for each pedal in every preset though.

1) The PBC does support the Quartz. I have a V3, and haven't had any issues with it, though I haven't really used it for anything beyond tempo up to this point.

2) First off, you're going to want to make the Quartz your master MIDI clock device. If you leave that to the PBC, then you won't be able to use the tap on the Quartz without screwing things up elsewhere. How I do it is I have all my songs programmed into both PBC and Quartz, and the PBC just sends a PC# to the Quartz to tell it what song is up. The Quartz then handles all tempo functions on its own, and I can tap in a new tempo at any time. Beyond that I'm hoping to use it to forward MIDI commands via TRS to a Jackson Audio Bloom, but I don't have the Bloom V2 yet, so I haven't tried it out.

What you're planning to do with the Quartz is pretty much what it was made to do though. You shouldn't have any issues with what you want beyond the normal quirkiness of the Quartz.

1) The PBC does support the Quartz. I have a V3, and haven't had any issues with it, though I haven't really used it for anything beyond tempo up to this point.

2) First off, you're going to want to make the Quartz your master MIDI clock device. If you leave that to the PBC, then you won't be able to use the tap on the Quartz without screwing things up elsewhere. How I do it is I have all my songs programmed into both PBC and Quartz, and the PBC just sends a PC# to the Quartz to tell it what song is up. The Quartz then handles all tempo functions on its own, and I can tap in a new tempo at any time. Beyond that I'm hoping to use it to forward MIDI commands via TRS to a Jackson Audio Bloom, but I don't have the Bloom V2 yet, so I haven't tried it out.

What you're planning to do with the Quartz is pretty much what it was made to do though. You shouldn't have any issues with what you want beyond the normal quirkiness of the Quartz.

I need to spend more time reading Quartz manual. I would like to use the PBC as the source of Midi clock. I only want to connect a couple tap tempo pedals to the Quartz. I would like to avoid having to build a preset for each song on the Quartz too. That sounds really involved having to do that for the ton of tunes I already have saved in the PBC. Instead I just want the Quartz to see the PBC's tempo on the incoming MIDI clock, and recieve a CC# for each tap output's subdivision. I would add the CC#'s to each preset I have in the PBC. That would be less work, and work I can wrap my head around. lol

Also, I don't care about having a live tap button for changing the tempo. I'm playing to a click anyway.

That might be possible then, since you don't mind not having the tap tempo button, but I'm not sure exactly how you'd implement it. Good luck!

I need to spend more time reading Quartz manual. I would like to use the PBC as the source of Midi clock. I only want to connect a couple tap tempo pedals to the Quartz. I would like to avoid having to build a preset for each song on the Quartz too. That sounds really involved having to do that for the ton of tunes I already have saved in the PBC. Instead I just want the Quartz to see the PBC's tempo on the incoming MIDI clock, and recieve a CC# for each tap output's subdivision. I would add the CC#'s to each preset I have in the PBC. That would be less work, and work I can wrap my head around. lol

Also, I don't care about having a live tap button for changing the tempo. I'm playing to a click anyway.
I now have a Quartz on my second pedalboard, this one is the V3. I have well over 100 songs, over 225 presets, and about 10 set lists programmed on my PBC(s). Programming the Selah with it's separate editor is really a snap, and not having to worry about tapping the PBC for tempo opens up that extra button; tapping the Selah works great, and it's easy to make fine adjustments to tempo using the knob on the Selah. Plus having the Selah display really helps to verify what your tempo is - you can program it to blink as much as you want! Again, easy to do! I only have about 50 presets on the Selah, because I use many of them in multiple presets/songs. Usually a song that is 1-2 bpm different on a delay will not make any difference, and certainly not on most any other type of effect.

Are you using something to bring the click into your PBC for tempo? I play to a click at church too, in our in-ears, but the Selah sets my effects' tempos and if the worship leader decides to change the tempo on the fly, I can easily change mine with the Selah tap.

I think you might be looking at this too narrowly. Using delays, I wouldn't have a board without a Quartz!

Are you using something to bring the click into your PBC for tempo? I play to a click at church too, in our in-ears, but the Selah sets my effects' tempos and if the worship leader decides to change the tempo on the fly, I can easily change mine with the Selah tap.

I think you might be looking at this too narrowly. Using delays, I wouldn't have a board without a Quartz!
Hey! I use the Mastermind as the master midi clock. I think that I can use the Quartz to fit my purposes, but I really just need to get my hands on one to experiment. I think I might try to borrow a friend's and test with it before buying.

I only want to use the Quartz to send tap to a couple other pedals. I have a Deluxe Memory Man and a DD-5. I'll pretty much use the DMM for an 8th note delay, and the DD-5 for a dotted 8th. I want to be able to switch those subdivisions up though. I thnk you can program the Quartz to listen for a midi CC value to change the subdivision on a specific tap tempo output jack. That's really all I need it to do.

Having the ability to use the spare Quartz output jacks for midi over TRS pedals is nice to have though. Might use that some day.

I can already adjust tempo on a song from the Mastermind edit page while onstage. I don't need to do that much, so I don't see the value in changing up my workflow that much. I will keep the Mastermind as the master clock. I have built my whole rig so that it can be fully controlled from the Mastermind. Other than when I want to adjust my DMM's mix/feedback knobs, I should only have to interact with my Mastermind during a set. I like to keep my footwork basic.

Back