MIDI PC Issue in Device 1 Slot

MattRemixed

Hi folks,

Today while using my board, I noticed that my PBC had stopped sending PC messages to Device 1, which in my case is an Eventide H9. It continued sending CC messages just fine.

When I got home, I played around trying to fix the issue. I even factory reset my H9, which didn't help, and did the same with the PBC, but nothing.

I then noticed that if I moved my H9 to a new Device slot in the editor, the PBC was sending PC messages again. I tested changing Device 1 to a Timeline and sending PC messages to my delay, but it would not work. This is despite that my Timeline was/is receiving PC messages just fine in the Device 2 slot.

So now my H9 is in Device 3, and it's working fine, but it seems that the Device 1 slot is not sending PC messages. The settings are identical for Devices 1 and 3.

Any ideas what the issue could be?

Peace,
Matt

It's an H9 (actually Eventide) issue I think, based on past experience. Placed it somewhere else in the midi chain solved mine.

It's quite possible, although I'm hard-pressed to explain, if the issue is indeed with the H9, why a) Changing the PBC device slot of the H9 fixed the issue, and b) why my Timeline didn't work in the same PRBC device slot.

I had the H9 on MIDI channel 2, and changing it to another channel while in device slot 1 did nothing. But changing the device slot worked, even with the H9 on the same MIDI channel. This suggests to me an issue with the PBC, though I'm hardly knowledgeable.

Peace,
Matt

It could be a lot of things. You may have a button somewhere that's sending a specific PC to device 1, for example. That, while having the "Send Redundant PCs" setting turned off, could prevent it from sending PCs. The button is forcing the same PC to be sent every time, but the PBC is not allowing the same PC to be send more than once in a row. It's only one possibility, but the first one that comes to mind.

Here's my settings. I don't think that particular issue is the case, partly because it suddenly stopped working mid-gig, partly because I tried the "Send Redundant PCs" setting when I was getting it fixed and it did nothing. Also, would that be the case if each patch I tried had a different PC attached to it?

Attachments

• RJM PBC Settings.rjs
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
On page 5, you've got this button:

Button 9, page 5:
Type: IA
Name: Preset <
Group: None
Send on preset: No
Update on preset: No
Momentary
Button Actions:
1: H9:pre - / CC Toggle #12 off:None on:127

--- HOLD FUNCTION ---
Type: IA
Name: Looper On/Off
Group: None
Send on preset: Yes
Update on preset: Yes

Button Actions:
1: Device 1 / PC off:0 on:19​

The PC action on this button is overriding any PCs that are being sent by your presets. Your preset might be recalling preset 4, preset 10 or whatever, but this button also gets processed every preset change and it will either send PC0 or PC19, and only those PCs. This button refers specifically to Device 1, that's why the problem doesn't appear in other device slots.

Turn off Send on Preset Change and Update on Preset Change and it will stop doing that.

Perfect. You must get sick of dealing with all these issues. Thanks for your patience!

Just out of interest (to help me better understand my PBC), would "Update on Preset Change" have any effect either way in this case? I understand why "Send on Preset Change" would cause me the problem I had, but I'm unsure as to how UoPC would effect things in this case.

You're right, Update on Preset Change won't actually cause any problem. Usually, it makes sense to keep Send and Update set the same, except in a few special cases.

Back