Stereo Outputs to Pedal?

MattRemixed

Probably a dumb question, but I don't much understand ground loops.

If I have the two outputs from the PBC running into a pedal (in my case, a Strymon Flint that's always on), will the pedal negate the isolation of the two outputs when running PBC > stereo pedal > amps?

Thanks!

Yes, it will. The pedal connects the grounds of the left and right sides together, which will definitely negate the effect of the isolation transformer. You'll need an isolation transformer after the pedal to reestablish isolation.

Yes, it will. The pedal connects the grounds of the left and right sides together, which will definitely negate the effect of the isolation transformer. You'll need an isolation transformer after the pedal to reestablish isolation.

Excellent, thanks. Any recommendations for a good quality and small isolation transformer? Does the GoodWood Output have isolated L and Rs?

The ART Cleanbox or DTI are cheap and cheerful but seem to do a great job. They are passive so don't take up a power outlet if your power supply is already maxed out. Plus they have two channels so you can use two ISO transformers in stereo or independently at different points in your signal chain if necessary. I recently added the DTI to my board and it killed the hum issues.

I've used the Ebtech Hum Eliminator, it does the job but is less than perfectly transparent. Don't know about the Goodwood box, you'd have to ask them. The box that Radial makes that has a Jensen transformer in it (don't remember the name) would probably be the best bet if you're looking for maximum audio quality.

Back