Ipad display for PBC

ekkomouse

I wanted to share this display interface I created for the PBC. It uses an ipad to display each button page as well as a persistent overview for which loops are active, which pbc switches are active, effects enabled on a Ditto x4, and expression pedal feedback for a source audio reflex expression. The interface reacts to midi messages to change pages automatically as I switch on the pbc and also reflects active/inactive buttons/loops/switches. Im excited to share it, let me know what you think!

Well done! That must have been a lot of work. So, I take it you're looking for a way to directly assign a CC number to a button?

Thanks, i started out just trying to have the ipad as a static display for buttons on pages but quickly realized I had extra room on the screen and that lemur could also show the on/off states of buttons which opened up the visual feedback on buttons and in the lower part of the display. There is somewhat of a learning curve with lemur. There is some scripting for the preset buttons and the updating the display when changing pages but the rest isn't too bad once you get the basics.

I was thinking if switches/buttons were pre-mapped somehow with non-conflicting cc's it would take a fair amount of the work out of the equation with respect to configuration/setup. Templates can be created and shared which could open up possibility an official Mastermind PBC/LT/GT lemur template. The templates can also be adapted in scope to work on an ipad mini, or iphone for anyone with the lemur app and of course altered to each users specific needs.

Lemur also sends the same programmed midi messages back (upon touch) that it receives, maybe opening the possibility of an ipad/iphone editor?

Last edited:
This is fantastic! Great work. What is your current interface to get Lemur to talk to the IPad? USB Bluetooth-Midi?

Looks cool! Nice job. I can't watch the full video at the moment, so what's the point of the iPad interface? Show current status of the PBC or to do deep editing if you're aware from your PC/Mac editor software?

This is fantastic! Great work. What is your current interface to get Lemur to talk to the IPad? USB Bluetooth-Midi?

Its an iconnectmidi 2+, this has two midi Din in/outputs and two usb in/outputs. It is very robust and can filter and remap midi messages but that isnt required. Basically the setup is the mastermind pbc to a source audio reflex expression to a kenton midi 5 splitter and then that feeds the strymon pedals, h9, elektron analog drive, kemper amp and tc electronik voicelive 2, and the last output is to the lemur app running on the ipad from the iconnect midi 2+.

It charges the iPad too while connected

Last edited:
Looks cool! Nice job. I can't watch the full video at the moment, so what's the point of the iPad interface? Show current status of the PBC or to do deep editing if you're aware from your PC/Mac editor software?

Currently the ipad serves only as a very detailed display of what your current page buttons can do and what is hidden from view on other pages. Its basically a way to keep tabs on all the custom buttons I have setup and it autoupdates the ipad display as I select presets with the various loops, pages, expression pedals, switches, outputs, parallels, buffers, and any other custom midi commands I send from the mastermind pbc.

Lemur does send back and could output to the pbc but the pbc would need to be listening for it and that would be on RJM to implement.

There are more potential buttons than there are CC numbers (16 pages * 22 buttons = 352), so a static CC assignment isn't really possible. Even a GT/10 has too many buttons.

You can turn on "CC Link" on your buttons to allow the iPad to affect button state. When CC Link is on, and a button's first action is a CC action, an incoming CC that matches the CC action will affect the button's state. It won't trigger the button's actions, but it will change the visible state.

There are more potential buttons than there are CC numbers (16 pages * 22 buttons = 352), so a static CC assignment isn't really possible. Even a GT/10 has too many buttons.

You can turn on "CC Link" on your buttons to allow the iPad to affect button state. When CC Link is on, and a button's first action is a CC action, an incoming CC that matches the CC action will affect the button's state. It won't trigger the button's actions, but it will change the visible state.

I have assigned the Lemur its own channel in the pbc but i don't have every button mapped with a cc currently. Many of the buttons in my template are page switching and those are pc messages, then there are some that are non-responsive and just display text like pc+/- buttons, other switches in the template are programmed to respond to the effect pedals midi message on its own channel so those don't take up the any midi cc's on the Lemur's midi channel. I only need to assign a midi message if I want the switch to show visual feedback.

The lemur app will allow switches to respond to note on/off, cc, pc messages as well.

Maybe pre-mapping isn't the answer but a way to assign a cc and then an area that tracks whats assigned already? Each user would generally have different needs.

You should be able to achieve that with CC Link, except for the part about gathering the information into one place. I'll think about what can be done for 4.0.

Thanks for the info! Just picked up the app and going to start researching some on my own. What was your starting place to learn to program the app to work with the PBC? Just their manuals online?

Thanks for the info! Just picked up the app and going to start researching some on my own. What was your starting place to learn to program the app to work with the PBC? Just their manuals online?

The manuals and the forums were a big help. There are a lot of files in forum threads you can download and copy their scripts or examples into your template. You will want to work in the computer app not the iPad app to edit the template and save often.

Also there were a couple YouTube videos that helped walk through the basics, I did the example lessons they supply on their site too, meaning I built the sample interfaces to see how they worked.

Back