Which patch cables are you using?

When I initially put the new board together I used some suboptimal cabling because it was there and I was still experimenting. Now I'd like to clean things up and I'm looking for the best quality patch cables.

I was considering giving the Evidence Audio SIS solderless cables a try and was wondering if any of you had good / bad experiences with them or other such brands.

If the solderless stuff out there isn't ready for prime time I can always grab a soldering iron. Should that be the case, who makes the best quality cable and connectors these days? It's been quite a while since I built new cables.

Would appreciate any insights / war stories you might have.

Thanks,

Chris

Here's my 2 cents...and I know there are plenty that will disagree...

I'm an electrical engineer, and some (I did not say all) of the hocus pocus that people talk about with cables is complete junk. It is true that some cables are physically better than others, and there certainly is junk out there that I wouldn't waste money on. That said, I would recommend using a cable that is built well and reasonably priced. I used Mogami cable on my board and GLS Audio plugs. They are both reasonably priced, especially when compared to something like George L or Lava. Don't listen to a manufacturer that tries to tell you that your going to have better tone when using their plugs vs another. Unless it's some extreme case, electrically it's just not true. They can provide all of the garbage advertising they want, but all they are doing is playing into the majority of people who don't understand electricity on a high level. All the signal from your guitar to your amp is, is electricity. Ohms law and proven laws of physics apply...no cable can change that. Blind tests that have been done by many people over the years PROVE that people can't hear the difference in most cases. One particular one I remember was one where they had people blindly listen to 2 amplifier setups. In one, they used a Monster cable to hook up the speaker from the amp...in the other they used a coathanger...and people couldn't tell the difference. Yes, I'm serious.

Again, I'm not saying buy cheap junk from China that will fall apart. I'm saying pick a sturdy built cable and plugs and don't worry about the name on it. I'd pay more attention to a nice thick cable from my guitar to board and board to amp since those will be moving all the time and walked on top of. I just hate to see guys spend hundreds of dollars on wire and plugs that they think is helping. The truth is, once they buy all that stuff and wire it up, they SAY they can hear a difference because they WANT to hear a difference. If my wallet was crying after being abused like that...I'd want to hear a difference too.

I believe in spending money on things that literally do more than the competition...hence why I have a PBC, one of the most expensive loopers in the world. I have it because it actually has features others don't, it has great customer service (Ron) and nothing else compares. Where something else compares, use money wisely!

Bottom line, use good common sense, buy reasonable, and have fun. That's what it's all about. Just my 2 cents...take it for what it's worth....

I have used both lava and evidence audio SIS and the evidence cables went together easier, had just one bad cable on assembly that was found and so far no bad cables since though I haven’t moved my board much. I switched from lava after a couple cables happened in year 2. Also they had quite a few issues on assembly, very frustrating. Both sets I did a very large board so lots of assembly. I would buy evidence audio again.

That's very helpful, thanks. I've given the SIS cables a try and will be rewiring this week.

As an aside, my current cheapo cables are all straight connectors, since standard Switchcraft style 90s were too tight for the back of the PBC. So, Saturday morning I emailed the SIS guys asking if their 90s would fit.

A few hours later I received a reply from Tony, the owner, that began "pardon brevity, I'm on a ski slope." He answered my questions, pointed me to pictures of a PBC using 90s and even sent a phone snapshot of the mountain top view from his slope. Now that's a customer experience I don't have everyday.

This tells me everything I need to know about the kind of service I can expect from them. Sounds very much like the personalized support we get from RJM.

Wanted to share this story for anyone else who might bump into this thread in the future. From what I can see, Evidence Audio is clearly a class act.

Hey, guys.

New PBC owner here (1 DAY). In all my research I had the massive oversight that I needed 1) TRS cables for my stereo Big Sky, Timeline, and Mobius pedals and 2) I could and should have a separate stereo outbox/interfacer because going main output from the PBC is a giant facepalm with my board layout. I am kicking myself hardcore right now. Also, partly because I have mounds of gorgeous seafoam green Gear Supply Co patch wiring ready to cover this board and I can't!

I've sifted through the forums and maybe I missed it, but where are people getting 1/4" TRS to right angle cables from? I don't want to buy garbage; just what shoelesscraig described above, and I may be swayed to special order in something other than black if it's under half a million dollars.

Thanks, guys

*Correction to my post

1/4" TRS to right angle was meant as 1/4" TRS to dual right angle. I'm sure it went without saying, but just in case. Thanks

*Correction to my post

1/4" TRS to right angle was meant as 1/4" TRS to dual right angle. I'm sure it went without saying, but just in case. Thanks
as @rjmmusic said, we can do the "Y" type cables - https://btpa.com/Guitar-Line-Level/Pedal-Board/Y-Cables-and-Adapters/

Because of the way we make them, they do get a little costly. If you are looking for a batch of them (i.e. more than 2) shoot us an email and we can help with a bundle discount, too. We make a modified "stubby" trs connector for these that has a 1" short handle for coming off the rear of the PBC.

It looks as though the ADP14R-XX would be the best fit, as I've determined ALL right angles would be best for my setup. These are just for loops 7-10 and will be routed underneath my pedaltrain. Just to be safe, is this the best cable that satisfies:

1) Smallest possible connector size
2) Dual right angle to TRS right angle
3) (8) Quantity at 36" each
4) Seafoam green if at all possible, Blue if not. All my other patches are seafoam green at a big time and $ expense. Would love to complete it and will wait if it takes longer. Sorry I'm one of those guys... :)

I'll be happy to continue this convo on whatever channel you like. Hope this helps someone else!

Thank you

-Tom

Back