H9 users take note...

middle_pickup

I figured out that if you are playing from a Mastermind song preset that does not have an algorithm loaded on the H9, and switch to a song preset that DOES have an algorithm loaded on the H9 you will get a loud digital tick noise. I have been experiencing this problem for a few months, and couldn't figure it out until now. Here is how to avoid this problem...

I'm exactly sure how the PBC edit software sets up the default preset scheme for the H9, but it looks like each preset adds sequential PC changes starting to each preset starting at 1-ending at 100. If your H9 only has 9 presets loaded though, then a PC change above that number will result in the H9 not loading an algorithm. You can see the screen of the H9 read "NO ALG" when this happens. This is where our problem starts. You need to tell the Mastermind only to load PC changes that actually hold a preset on the H9.

I chose to go through each of my Mastermind presets and make sure that even if the H9 loop is not engaged that the first preset of the H9 is loaded with a PC change value of 1. This way when I switch to a Mastermind preset with the H9 loop on and simultaneously tell the H9 to move to another preset I will not have this loud annoying noise screaming through my amp.

Another possible workaround would be to load the H9 full of presets-leaving no preset slot unfilled. This would prevent a PC change from recalling an H9 preset without an algorithm loaded. I chose to the method that I did because I want to know what preset I'm adding to my signal path if I throw the H9 in the mix during a set on the fly. My first H9 preset is a blackhole reverb, so I know that if I open the loops button page of the Mastermind that's what sound I will have access to by default.

I hope this post makes sense. If anyone has any questions, I'm glad to help out.

Thanks for the heads up. I a similar setup with an H9 core that has a limited number of presets configured. I see the "NO ALG" message on the screen sometimes, but have never heard a any loud noise from loading the next PBC preset that uses the H9. Maybe because my H9 is in a loop that is only activated on BPC presets that have an H9 preset loaded? Is your H9 not in a loop? Or is it in a loop but behaving differently from mine? Thanks again for documenting and sharing this.

Thanks for the heads up. I a similar setup with an H9 core that has a limited number of presets configured. I see the "NO ALG" message on the screen sometimes, but have never heard a any loud noise from loading the next PBC preset that uses the H9. Maybe because my H9 is in a loop that is only activated on BPC presets that have an H9 preset loaded? Is your H9 not in a loop? Or is it in a loop but behaving differently from mine? Thanks again for documenting and sharing this.
My H9 is in loop 9. From what I could tell the noise was being generated by the H9 being activated and moving to an active algorithm at the same time. I have implemented my fix, and have not heard the same issue since.

I don't have an H9, but I have friends that do...and they've never complained of this problem. I guess I don't understand....

By default, the editor assigns PC #0 to Preset 0, PC #1 to Preset 1, and so on. Not sure why anyone would want this or need it, so click the button at the bottom of the Devices tab that sets everything to NONE. Now EVERY preset in the PBC editor sends NO PC command to the H9.

Then, if you need the H9 for a particular preset, you turn on it's loop (loop 9 for you) and send the PC command to the H9. If you don't need the H9 for a particular preset, then you leave it's loop off and simply don't send ANY PC command (which would leave it on the previous algorithm you used...but the loop is off, so it doesn't matter). If you do this, there is no reason your H9 should EVER be told to go to an "algorithm" that doesn't exist.

Seems to me like you did a bunch of work for nothing...no offense. Am I making sense....or am I missing something?

Back