Preset button mutes signal, shows Tuner screen on Kemper

Dallas

Running Mastermind GT with Kemper (Slave Mode)
GT OS: 4.1.0 Release
Kemper OS: 5.5.2 Release

Upon booting up in Kemper Performance Mode, I can hear a guitar signal just fine. The second I step on an RJM preset button, I experience the following immediately:

1. Guitar signal goes silent
2. Kemper LCD Screen shows: "Module is empty! Please select a type or preset."
3. Upon stepping on next Preset button, Kemper LCD screen shows the Tuner (GT does not show tuner screen), even though the KPA is still in Performance Mode

I have tried re-designating all preset buttons to their default factory state, rebooting and double checking that there are no funky IA actions assigned to the preset buttons. I have uploaded 3 screenshots for reference. The second is reflective of every preset. You can see them labelled as "Swell, Edge, Drive" etc just because of how I've programmed my songs. Third screenshot is of how the Tuner is programmed.

Please advise, and thank you very much in advance! I'm getting there with this thing, but still have a few things to learn.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    224.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    134.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    132.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Not sure, something weird has to be going on in your settings. If you send me your file, I can have a look.

So, what was the solution? I'm curious!

It was a couple things. I'd preemptively set up an auxiliary switch, combined with the fact that I'd set the volume setting on the Kemper to Expression Pedal @ 0 = Tuner". Ron got back to me with the following and it worked like a charm!

"Ok, the volume issue is the position switch on the expression pedal. I recommend removing that CC Toggle #7 action from the expression pedal's Position Switch Actions section. It was sending a CC#7, value 0 (volume off) every time you change presets.

The "Module is empty" message is because one or more of your stomp slots is empty. In Slave Mode, the GT sends a message for all IA buttons, and it has no idea whether there's anything in the stomp slot or not, it just sends the messages. (Stomp A is on, Stomp B is off, etc.) The Kemper displays that message if you send a message to a slot that's empty. You can either just ignore the message, set up a button page that has those stomps removed or make sure that all stomp slots have some effect in them.

The tuner issue is probably the first issue interacting with the "Expression Pedal @ 0 = Tuner" setting. Fixing the expression pedal should fix this one as well."

Back