Setting up Scene toggle: Scene X > Lead > Scene X with only Lead button

greiswig

Hi, all,

Hoping someone can help me out. I typically use basically one AxeFX3 preset for an entire gig. It has a number of scenes in it that revolve around different rhythm sounds. But I have one scene called "Lead" as well. What I am trying to do is get it to where I can use that button to go into a solo, but then when I hit that same button (very predictable location on the pedalboard so I don't lose it when I'm singing), it goes back to whatever scene it was in before I hit lead. So..

Scene 2. Hit "Lead" and go to Scene 8. Hit that Scene 8 button again and it reverts back to Scene 2.
Same thing if I started at Scene 1, 3, or whatever.

I asked this before here, and was given this video as a reference, but I was never able to get it to work:

Maybe does somebody have an example where this works that I can look at? Or a walkthrough of how to properly translate from Fractal-speak to GT-speak? I got the feeling that you have to make a Fractal preset be a GT Song, a Fractal Scene be a GT Preset, or something along those lines...but it wasn't really clear.

Gracias!

The "return to the last thing I was on previously" type function is only available for certain features like presets. So, you're correct, using GT presets to select Axe-Fx scenes would be the way to go.

Here's what I recommend: Set up 8 presets on the GT. In the PC Messages section of the Presets tab, set your selected preset number and scene number for each preset. Let's say you're using preset 10 on the Axe-Fx.

GT Preset 1: Axe preset 10, scene 1
GT Preset 2: Axe preset 10, scene 2
GT Preset 3: Axe preset 10, scene 3
GT Preset 4: Axe preset 10, scene 4
GT Preset 5: Axe preset 10, scene 5
GT Preset 6: Axe preset 10, scene 6
GT Preset 7: Axe preset 10, scene 7
GT Preset 8: Axe preset 10, scene 8

Replace your scene buttons with Preset buttons (instead of the IA buttons they were previously). Delete any actions that are on those buttons.

Then, in Globals, set Preset 2nd Press to Previous.

That should do it.

Preset buttons automatically assign themselves to presets in left to right, top to bottom order. If your presets aren't arranged in the order you want them to be, edit the buttons and change the Preset Index parameter. On the button where you want the first preset to appear, set preset index to 1. On the button where you want the second preset to appear, set preset index to 2, etc.

Okay, I did try this and I think I'm getting it close to working. However, the displays on the GT16 are not representing the changes that are happening. So I can switch from Scene 1 to Scene 3 by hitting the Scene 3 button once, and it does change to Scene 3. The Scene 3 preset button is showing as selected.

The second press does return it to Scene 1, but the button displays do not reflect that state, except for the main display. The button display still shows Scene 3 as selected.

This may be a more general issue, though: on my other setup (not using presets), I have scenes that trigger a Filter block, for example, but that filter block button display doesn't light up in scenes where it is being turned on.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Oct212018 is my "normal" file, with no preset buttons as outlined above. Go to Page 6. The button labeled Vol Boost is the filter that gets triggered either in Scene 3 (where it DOES show as engaged on the button display), and also when the button to it's left is engaged (Drive Pedal) where although the block is actually called by the button, not the scene, but still the "Vol Boost" button isn't showing as engaged.

Attachments

• Oct212018.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
This is the file I was using to try your "presets" version of changing scenes. Page 7 is what I was using there.

Attachments

• PresetsTEST.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
In Devices, you have an Axe-Fx II and Axe-Fx III in the same file. That's likely to cause problems, even if you only have one of them in your system at the moment. The Axe-Fx support isn't really set up to give full support to two Axe-Fxs in the same configuration. One device in the device list will (probably) get all support working, the other one will not. I recommend creating one file for the Axe-Fx II and then copy and modify it for the Axe-Fx III (or vice versa).

If you can't do that, then set the device you're not using to Manufacturer: None in Devices.

OK. I deleted Device 1, the AxeFX2 altogether. Set everything to "None" on that line. That Vol Boost button still isn't lighting up when I hit the Drive Pedal button, and the ODS (Scene 1) Button is not selected when I hit the "Lead" button twice and it reverts from Scene 3 to Scene 1.

I assume that the Preset buttons in the other file still aren't working right either, but I can try later.

I think you were on the right track, Ron. I had noticed that the poll state wasn't an option in the editor, only on the hardware. Removing all devices and starting from scratch, the poll state option is suddenly there. So it didn't import the devices with that from before. Doing this fixed the issues with the Vol Boost button not tracking.

(SCRATCH THAT...I tinkered with something else and now the button displays aren't tracking again, even with the poll set to on)

However, I still can't get the Preset buttons on my page 7 in the other file to properly reflect the state of the reverted-to scene. Second press is set previous, and it does indeed revert, but the button display does not reflect the change.

And the AxeFX3 is now always briefly cycling back to Scene 1 before going to the actual previous scene.

Last edited:
I think you were on the right track, Ron. I had noticed that the poll state wasn't an option in the editor, only on the hardware. Removing all devices and starting from scratch, the poll state option is suddenly there. So it didn't import the devices with that from before. Doing this fixed the issues with the Vol Boost button not tracking.

(SCRATCH THAT...I tinkered with something else and now the button displays aren't tracking again, even with the poll set to on)

However, I still can't get the Preset buttons on my page 7 in the other file to properly reflect the state of the reverted-to scene. Second press is set previous, and it does indeed revert, but the button display does not reflect the change.

And the AxeFX3 is now always briefly cycling back to Scene 1 before going to the actual previous scene.

Ok, please send the updated file and I can look at it.

The scene thing is mentioned in the release notes for 4.2.0:

NOTES / KNOWN ISSUES
  • If your GT presets are selecting both presets and scenes on the Axe-Fx (such as when using Get Preset Names / Create Songs), you will see it switch to scene 1, then to the desired scene every time you move to a new Axe-Fx preset. This is something I'm trying to work on with Fractal.

Thanks, Ron. I was able to get my non-preset page to work, and to successfully poll the states. I did a factory reset, reinstalled a known-working version, once again went through the process of deleting the AFX2 and re-mapped all the CC's to the new AFX3 device I created. It now works.

And this may be why I was not able to see the changes on the PresetsTEST file that I'm uploading here: the preset button displays showing scene changes do not react to polling at all. The blocks (e.g. chorus, etc.) that get turned off and on when the scene changes react (chorus button display lights up with the scene change), but the preset button displays themselves do not change according to the scene. That is what is happening in this file, too.

Attachments

• PresetsTEST2.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Just to be sure you saw this: My previous message was a partial success, but only partial. I'm still looking for the preset buttons to properly reflect the actual scene that is on the AFX3.

Thanks!

That's odd, it works fine here. Moving through Axe-Fx preset 0, scenes 1 through 4 highlight the scene buttons on the GT. Are you using the latest firmware? (GT 4.2.0, Axe-Fx 1.18)

That's odd, it works fine here. Moving through Axe-Fx preset 0, scenes 1 through 4 highlight the scene buttons on the GT. Are you using the latest firmware? (GT 4.2.0, Axe-Fx 1.18)

Indeed. Latest firmwares (both devices) and latest editor.
You're using the file that I sent successfully?

Last edited:
Indeed. Latest firmwares (both devices) and latest editor.
You're using the file that I sent successfully?

Yes, I'm using your file from several posts above. Are the preset buttons the only thing not working, or is there anything else not working?

Oh, there's a bunch of stuff that isn't working there, Ron. ;-) I was just trying to get a page where the preset buttons worked, then build out from there. So literally the only thing I worked on was the preset buttons.

I'm going to do a factory reset and try again.

I recommend insuring that the basic functions are working first - effect block status, tuner, tap tempo. Those are a lot less complicated. Preset & scene mapping is the most complicated and needs the most parameters set correctly. If a lot of stuff isn't working, there's probably something wrong with the bidirectional MIDI connection, because the settings were working fine here.

Copy that. But the tempo and tuner were working, so I don't think there's anything about the bidirectional MIDI that's off. I just meant that I hadn't bothered trying to purposely set up any other buttons than the preset buttons. If those other buttons work, it's happenstance.

Back