GT/22 Noob Programming Preset Question

Hi there,

I am looking to control BOTH an AXEFX3 and a Kemper with a GT/22.
I have taken Ron's advice and ordered a MIDI merger box to establish two way communication with both devices and the GT22.
I am a little confused however about how the presets WORK on RJM products.
Particularly:
I want to have one page of the GT/22 with two PRESET MENU buttons, one for navigating the AXE3 presets; and the other for navigating the Kemper presets.
Is this actually possible?
or do I have to approach this differently?
I mainly wish I could use presets so that I could fetch the names from the Kemper and the AXE3.

Any ideas?

Thanks

There are presets, and there are presets...

The GT has its own presets, and those can be named anything you like. The intent of each preset on the GT is to set up everything in your rig with one button press. Each GT preset can recall specific presets on all of your MIDI devices. You can, with some work, set up some GT presets to recall presets only on the Kemper and some to recall presets only on the Axe-Fx, but it's probably not exactly going to work the way you want.

The main issue is that there's only one list of presets on the GT, so you can't have a separate menu of Axe-Fx presets and a separate menu of Kemper presets. At least, not if you want to access a lot of presets on both.

I guess that's a good place to start - how many presets do you need to access on both devices?

There are presets, and there are presets...

The GT has its own presets, and those can be named anything you like. The intent of each preset on the GT is to set up everything in your rig with one button press. Each GT preset can recall specific presets on all of your MIDI devices. You can, with some work, set up some GT presets to recall presets only on the Kemper and some to recall presets only on the Axe-Fx, but it's probably not exactly going to work the way you want.

The main issue is that there's only one list of presets on the GT, so you can't have a separate menu of Axe-Fx presets and a separate menu of Kemper presets. At least, not if you want to access a lot of presets on both.

I guess that's a good place to start - how many presets do you need to access on both devices?
I see, that makes sense.
Well ultimately, I kind of wanted it to be an open ended thing with more of a "browse and jam" kind of approach. Around 100 on each would probably be overkill really even just for open ended browsing if I had to put a big number on it. I have purchased some profile packs (60-100 profiles each pack) from STL Tones and I was imagining setting up the Mastermind to kind of audition profiles on each unit to find cool matching pairs of sounds. I guess if I did some curation the old fashioned way I could kind of get the same kind of feeling setup with 15-20 presets each.
The Axe3 isn't really going to make this easy on me either because I can't just browse presets on the AXE3 unless I go through all of the presets and add an input--Output block so that the kemper signal is routed through the axe3 anyway. so i guess curating down the sounds for browsing would make that task a little less daunting as well.

For live performance type setups I really can't see myself even using many more than half a dozen presets because of all the IA stuff being so handy.

Thanks for the quick response!
Love this controller it is amazing

Maybe use GT presets for the Axe-Fx presets, and then use some pages of IA buttons to recall presets on the Kemper (or vice-versa). That's probably the best way to do it. Use GT presets for whichever device you think you'll be using more presets.

Back