HX stomp inconsistent behaviour

JES

I’ve assigned a footswitch on the PBC 6x to turn two switches on the HX Stomp on and off. But sometimes the PBC messages only work for one of the switches on the HX. Is there a setting I need to change on either device to get consistent behaviour?
TIA.

I've never had issues with that on my HX Stomp despite doing that (and sometimes even more at once). It's more likely you just have something conflicting somewhere, but it's hard to say for sure without more information. If you'll post your setup file along with more detailed information on what switch/commands we're looking for, we can take a look and see if if there's anything that could be causing the issue.

Reactions: JES
Thanks for asking.

Ok, here's my setup file. I'm just trying to turn on (or off) two switches at once on the HX. It's at the end of a MIDI chain, on its own channel (of course).

Attachments

• PBC-1.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
Sorry, I don't think I was clear enough before. To help you, I'm going to need you to give a much more detailed description of what you're trying to do, and where those commands are in the file. Currently I'm just looking at a setup file that has five pages of commands, many of which involve the HX Stomp, and I have no idea which one is giving you problems.

I’ve assigned a footswitch on the PBC 6x to turn two switches on the HX Stomp on and off. But sometimes the PBC messages only work for one of the switches on the HX. Is there a setting I need to change on either device to get consistent behaviour?
TIA.

On page 2 you have two buttons that both toggle CC #50 / FS2. Pretty sure that is causing the conflict.

Amp(HX) and Distortion+Amp(

Either you remove the CC #50 on the second button to toggle only FS 3 with it,
Or if you always want Amp with Distortion or none, you could add a System Set IA and toggle the other button with it

Just a quick note of thanks. I'm getting overrun at work so I've been slow to reply.

The setup on P2 is intentional -- sometimes I want one, sometimes I want both. But for the purposes of trying it out, I was using a single button to toggle amp and distortion. Just turning it on and off, sometimes it would turn both on and off, and sometimes only one. For the purposes of the testing, I wasn't using the single "amp" button at all.

Is there a problem with the RJM sending multiple MIDI messages with a single footswitch?

If amp is OFF and dist+amp is ON you have a conflict with CC #50. The amp sends CC #50 off and the other CC #50 on.
When loading a preset, this sends both button messages. Depending on which messages arrives first to the Stomp, this results in both on or only one. Pretty sure it's that.

Try this: Set the single amp button type to off and see if the problem remains.

I've built a fairly complex setup with my Stomp and PBC and whenever I ran into unexpected behaviour, it was caused by conflicting CC messages. But there should be no issue with sending multiple CCs from one button to the stomp.

If amp is OFF and dist+amp is ON you have a conflict with CC #50. The amp sends CC #50 off and the other CC #50 on.
When loading a preset, this sends both button messages. Depending on which messages arrives first to the Stomp, this results in both on or only one. Pretty sure it's that.

Try this: Set the single amp button type to off and see if the problem remains.

I've built a fairly complex setup with my Stomp and PBC and whenever I ran into unexpected behaviour, it was caused by conflicting CC messages. But there should be no issue with sending multiple CCs from one button to the stomp.

It's definitely not conflicting messages like you describe. I'm setting it up with everything off, then repeatedly hitting the footswitch matched to two CCs for the HX and getting variable results just turning it on and off. I could make a video except it's in my practice space.

Just pretend the amp switch isn't there. The problem persists.

Thanks though!

It's definitely not conflicting messages like you describe. I'm setting it up with everything off, then repeatedly hitting the footswitch matched to two CCs for the HX and getting variable results just turning it on and off. I could make a video except it's in my practice space.

Just pretend the amp switch isn't there. The problem persists.

Thanks though!

Could be that you're hitting the button too quickly. Maybe it was still sending the previous message when you hit it again. I remember a similar scenario with a button that has multiple CCs for the Stomp. But then again, I was having conflicting CC messages on other buttons, which I got completely solved now. I'll try to recreate this when I have a free moment at home

If this is an IA button, then the usual concerns about conflicting messages is probably not an issue.

I can only think of two possible causes:
- The HX Stomp can't handle two MIDI messages coming in rapidly, one right after another. It would be very surprising, but I've seen other devices than have this problem
- You say you have it at the end of a MIDI chain. It could be that the chain is too long and your data is getting corrupted. Try connecting the Stomp directly to the PBC's MIDI output and see if it works any better.

I would submit that I was having some weird inconsistent issues like that with the HX Stomp, too. On the Mastermind Editor Devices tab - for the HX Stomp I checked the box Direct Send CCs/PCs. I haven't had my issues since. Not sure why that would solve the command glitches I was having - but it did... for what it's worth. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hi Folks,

Happy US thanksgiving to you all!

I'm back and reanimating this thread. Setup is still basically the same, but now I'm dealing with a program change issue.

I've set two IA buttons, one for PC+ and one for PC- on the HX stomp. I also have IA two buttons assigned to two foot switches on the stomp. Each IA button now sends only one CC message, either on or off.

So it works inside a preset on the RJM. But switching presets isn't working right.

I save a preset on the RJM with a specific PC on the stomp, let's say 9.

I load the preset on the RJM, and the stomp goes to preset 1 on the stomp, and it turns on two foot switches, even though the default for the HX preset is the switches off.

I also have an Eventide H9 and a Source Audio Ventris hooked up. There are no problems with PC messages or on/off instructions. Everything works fine.

Total length of MIDI cable is probably 3' between the 4 units.

I have attached my configuration file in case it's of any help.

Attachments

• PBC-1a.rjs
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
I'm not exactly sure what's going on, but the first thing that I see that is likely to cause a problem is that you have both the Stomp and the Reflex on the same MIDI channel (3). You should have all devices on different channels to avoid conflicts. This may fix the problem, I don't know for sure.

Thank you. I actually took my Reflex off the board, I just didn’t delete it from the device list. But I’ll do that too just in case somehow the PBC is “looking for it.”

Making progress here. Somehow Direct Send got turned back on, so I turned it off again and the preset problem appears to be solved. I still occasionally get an errant button press. Will have to investigate further.

Back