Nixie Won't Write To Strymons After Updating PBC 10 To 4.6.3

I just updated my PBC 10's firmware to 4.6.3. I didn't take note of what firmware I was using before but I hadn't updated it since getting it in late 2019.

Prior to updating, I had no issues using Nixie to edit my Strymon Mobius, Timeline, and BigSky. After updating, I can't write changes to the devices. I also can't update the firmware for the Timeline successfully. I haven't changed any MIDI settings in MastermindEditor or on the pedals. Any idea what's causing this? Should I revert to a previous firmware and see if it solves the issues?

Following... I've got this same issue but haven't really paid attention to when it happened as I don't use Nixie that often. I don't know when it happened but it was within the past 1-2 years. I know there have been other discussions on this on the Facebook group, but so far only people having the same issue, no solutions that I'm aware of.

The connection is still there, and I can write my edits on Nixie one preset at a time, but it doesn't show that it was written until I read from the device again in Nixie. Multiple presets should be able to be edited and all should be written to the pedal at once with one click of the Write button, and after writing the presets should be updated to no longer appear as changed.

I am experiencing this on Mac as well, but the "one preset at a time" trick does not work for me. My work around is to make the change in Nixie (which works and does get sent to the pedal), and then save the preset change on the pedal itself (hold encoder knob down and then press A or B) and then read the settings back into Nixie.

I am experiencing this on Mac as well, but the "one preset at a time" trick does not work for me. My work around is to make the change in Nixie (which works and does get sent to the pedal), and then save the preset change on the pedal itself (hold encoder knob down and then press A or B) and then read the settings back into Nixie.
Interesting. This is pretty much the process I've done but without having to save the preset on the device. Reading the pedal from Nixie after sending it is a necessary step for me too. Isn't this one preset at a time though? Or are you editing multiple Strymon presets at a time and sending them all at once?

I'm saying that, for me, the "Write" button within Nixie does not work at all, regardless of how many presets I have changed.

This is exactly the way I’ve been operating. It’s quite annoying because I used to keep multiple banks stored and would import presets in bulk according to which show I would be playing. Now I have to tediously import one at a time, going between saving using the encoder knob and re-reading with Nixie.

Hey again, just wanted to say I just upgraded to firmware 4.7 and I'm still having the same issue. Hope there's a fix for this soon, it really affects my workflow.

I am having a similar issue. Nixie is not detecting my Timeline or Big Sky. I am using the Uno MIDI Interface to connect.

I am having a similar issue. Nixie is not detecting my Timeline or Big Sky. I am using the Uno MIDI Interface to connect.
This would indicate that there's a problem outside of the Mastermind PBC, if you're not using a PBC to interface your pedals. I haven't been able to reproduce this problem in the lab, so I have to wonder if Nixie itself is the issue, at least partially.

Ron, I am a COMPLETE noob....I did not realize I could use the PBC instead of my typical interface to interact with Nixie. I'll try it again and see...but sounds like the issue is with Nixie.

Today is day one for me setting up my board with the PBC 6X...and all in all it has been pretty easy to setup. It's really amazing how you have simplified this process. I have a Timeline, Big Sky, H9, Preamp MK II, and an Iridium connected via MIDI and got it to work relatively easily. I also did the mono split and that is working well also.

Hey everyone, just touching base on this issue. I'm seeing more people between this forum and the Facebook group experience this issue where the writing functionality used to work but now it doesn't. Ron, would it be helpful for me to make a screen capture of the exact issue and/or send my Mastermind show file? I see above you looked into the issue but weren't able to replicate it. Thanks for digging in.

I'm willing to help out with debugging or anything else as well.

As a side note, I've also noticed that Nixie can detect my Timeline when I plug it in, but then if I update my Mastermind, it loses that connection and doesn't reconnect. This is probably a different issue and unrelated, but I thought I would mention it.

Hey everyone, just touching base on this issue. I'm seeing more people between this forum and the Facebook group experience this issue where the writing functionality used to work but now it doesn't. Ron, would it be helpful for me to make a screen capture of the exact issue and/or send my Mastermind show file? I see above you looked into the issue but weren't able to replicate it. Thanks for digging in.
You can try sending your RJS file, and I'll give it a try. Last time I've tried, I was not able to reproduce the problem, but it's been a while since I've tried.

I just tried with 4.9.1 on a PBC/10 and a Timeline. Nixie worked fine for me. Sending settings to the PBC one time caused Nixie to report "device not found", but after the transfer, I clicked Detect Hardware and it found the pedal again.

The only things I know of that could prevent it working are things I've mentioned before:
- MIDI Forward needs to be turned on in the PBC
- MIDITH needs to be set to Merge in the pedal
- You need a connection from MIDI Out on the PBC to MIDI In on the pedal, and a connection from MIDI Out on the pedal to MIDI In on the PBC. You can have other pedals in the chain as long as they are set to pass all MIDI messages from input to output.

Hmm, pretty sure I've set all those things. Definitely have the last one. I'll double check on MIDI Forward and MIDITH, and just experiment a bit.

I should've thought of "Detect Hardware." Thanks for that!

Back