Amp Gizmo Issue

chemh0ser

Hello, I am having an issue with my amp gizmo not responding to midi commands after it has been de-energized for an extended period of time. My setup is as follows: Gigrig Midi 14->Amp Gizmo->Mesa F30 via the custom cable. This problem happens intermittently and I think I stumbled on a fix by unplugging the midi cable from the Amp Gizmo and plug it back in with everything powered up, but it could have been dumb luck. I think this may solve the problem but haven't had enough chances to try. It is a pain to have to do this at every gig as my amp gizmo is mounted under my pedalboard. Any Ideas?

never seen that problem but it could be related to either a badly connected cable ie the midi cable

or the order in which items are powered up especially if you have other midi controlled gear I have see some gear send so much midi info at start up they literally they swamp everything else.
or the other common isssue is the pwer supply not supplying enough juice.

That is the only midi gear that I am running. I definitely have ample power going to it. Once I get it going, it is fine just when I initially power up the unit.

If I were there to debug the problem, I'd first measure the output of the power supply - right when it first turns on. Also, using a PC or Mac with a MIDI interface would be very helpful - you could look at the MIDI messages being sent by the Gig Rig, and also test the Amp Gizmo by sending it messages.

What MIDI interface would be good to see whats being sent via MIDI?

Im trying to build in as much redundancy into my rack as i can and this sounds like a good idea!

Pretty much any MIDI interface is fine. I typically use an Emu 2x2. Others use the M-Audio Uno, but I've had problems with the one I have here. Interfaces like the 2x2 don't come with a MIDI cable, but that's actually good because then you can use it to test MIDI cables as well.

Once you get the program, download MIDI-OX for the PC (www.midiox.com) or MIDI Monitor for the Mac (www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/). Those are really useful tools and will let you see what your M13 is actually sending.

Back