Any advantage to running midi pedals in loops?

ColWilkie

I'm overhauling my pedalboard again, and will soon have a Volante and Mercury 7 to add to the collection.

Before I get everything wired up again with my PBC6X, just wondering if it's worth running them into independent loops vs keeping outside the looper and fully controlling with midi (aside from the obvious save of loops). Taking them totally out of the audio path using 4 cable worth the extra wiring?

Thanks!

Running them outside saves you loops, of course. Keeping them in loops allows you to move them in your loop order. There may be a slight audio advantage to keeping them in loops since you're fully bypassing the pedals and the cables that connect those pedals. But, with high quality modern pedals like those, I'm not certain that you'd be able to hear the difference.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. This is all quite new to me, and while some of it may seem obvious I'd rather ask the experts!

Will continue managing them via midi in this case. I have one chorus (Julia) that I thought I might need to run in the loop and keep the 4cm - but thankfully it also sounds amazing in front of the amp having tested it tonight. So I know how I'll be wiring things once the new pedals arrive!

The RJM unit is truly outstanding, thanks for such an awesome product!

Back