ART X-15 + CC Messages

mikhael47

Has anyone successfully programmed their ART X-15 Ultrafoot or the gizmo for Switching channels of a recto with CC's? I can do the Program Change thing no problem.

I would like to use the MODE button to switch between preset and stomp mode, and use buttons 1-4 to change the channels on my Roadster. The other functions don't need to be switched.

The CC's that are currently assigned on the X-15 are 70 to 79. I can reassign them to whatever I want. I am not sure if "just" changing the CC it sends is enough or if I need to do more.

The manual says to use CC 88 through 91, but it also has a column stating the "value". I am not sure if the value field is necessary. I also don't know how the foot pedal will know what channel is currently selected.

I have it connected like this:

ART Midi OUT > GMajor2 Midi IN
GMajor2 Midi Out to ART Midi IN
GMajor2 Midi THRU to Mini Amp Gizmo IN

Thanks in advance,

M

you need to use the value as well,
the CCno identifies which button is to be switched the value will determine ots state ie on or off

so CC# 88 value 0 is off, cc#88 value 127 is on

I'll have to setup the midi monitor to see what the pedal is sending.

4x4uk said:
you need to use the value as well,
the CCno identifies which button is to be switched the value will determine ots state ie on or off

so CC# 88 value 0 is off, cc#88 value 127 is on

Ok I have it working. I had to manually program the "activator pads" to send the right CC. The ART defaults to values of 0 for "light off" and 127 for "light on" status.

For those of you that own an ART X-15, you can use the x-15setup program that is available on the net (google it) or you can do it manually by pressing the MODE button and the 4th Activator pad at the same time, this will put you in programming mode for CC messages. You will see the first activator pad LED flash and the display should be whatever CC is currently stored in it (default is 70). To program any other pad, just press it, and it will switch to that pad, with the current value in the display. Press the UP/Down selector pads until you get the CC that you expect, then press mode again.

There is a caveat. The ART does not know when a switch is on or off. I am investigating programming the pedal to shut off the appropriate switches when you select a channel on the amp.

i.e.:

If you have pads 1-4 programmed to trigger channels 1-4 of the roadster, when you step on pad 1, it selects channel one, and the indicator on the ART illuminates. When you select pad 2, the channel switches to 2 and the appropriate indicator illuminates but, pad 1's indicator stays illuminated. I have to click pad 1 twice to get it to switch again. It will also be difficult to know what channel you are in, when you are on stage.

I thought maybe the gizmo would send midi back to the ART when any channel was switched to "turn off" any other channels (eg if switch "w" has a value of 127 then make sure switches xyz are sent a value of 0), but this does not seem to be the case. I hooked up my midi monitor and no messages are coming out of the gizmo when channels are switched (insert feature request here).

I am very tempted to ditch the art pedal and get something more modern, but it's so compact, and easy to use... I like the Voodoo Labs GCP, and the Mastermind, but I don't want to have to lay out the funds if I don't have to.

I'll update my quest as it progresses!!

Mik

Back