Audio Path Loop 12 of EG

cgscotto

I think I am having a phasing issue with my Ventris Reverb in Loop 12 of my Effects Gizmo. I think the Ventris is the problem and the EG, but to help trouble shoot exactly what the problem is I need to understand the audio path in Loop 12. I understand with the loop off the in of 12 connects directly to the out of 12. However, from reading the manual, I thought the other connections were serial and not dependent on whether a jack was inserted into the send and return jacks.

For example, with the loop on, if I remove the jacks leading to the Ventris from both the send and return jacks to loop 12, I still hear the guitar. It seems that with the loop on and nothing in the send and return jacks, the loop defaults to its off behavior with audio going directly from the in to the out jack. If I just insert the cable from the Ventris out into the return of loop 12, the same thing happens: the loop defaults to its off behavior with audio going directly from the in to the out jack. However, if I insert the cable into the send of loop 12 that leads to the Ventris input, but do not insert the output from the Ventris into the return jack of loop 12 the audio path behaves as I expected, I hear nothing since I have not completed the circuit.

I am simply trying to make sure that phasing is not coming from audio being sent in parallel from the in of loop 12 to the send leading to the Ventris and to the out of loop 12. I do not have kill dry enabled on the Ventris. With a dry signal in the Ventris and a dry signal in the EG, I would get phasing. As I said, I think the problem is in the Ventris and not the EG, but I want to make sure I understand the audio path through the loop as I trouble shoot.

As always, thanks!

The way it's supposed to work is:

When nothing is plugged into send or return - signal will pass from in to out, regardless of whether the loop is on or not

When something is plugged into the send and nothing in the return - signal will always pass from in to out. If the loop is on, signal will also pass from in to send.

When nothing is plugged into the send and something is plugged into the return - when loop is off, signal will pass from in to out. When loop is on, signal will pass from return to out

When something is plugged into both send and return - when loop is off, signal will pass from in to out. When loop is on, in will go to send and return will go to out.

The dry signal going through the Ventris is probably delayed a few ms, that would give you the phasing/flanging. You could find out by asking Source Audio and see if their dry path is analog or digital. If digital, then that explains it. In that case, your only recourse is either: turn on kill dry, don't wire it in parallel, or switch to a pedal that has an analog dry path (like Strymon)

Thanks, that is very helpful information. At minimum it gives me confidence that the problem is in the Ventris. It does have analog dry thru, but it has dual reverb engines that can be in series or parallel, and that is where I think the problem arises.
Thanks for the information. RJM products and support are the best.

Back