Axe-Fx II and Scene 1 selection on Preset change

Chris@KatsuKuriMedia

HERE IS THE ANSWER for my main question: for Scenes, you want the "Send on Preset Change" and "Update State on Preset Change" options checked, set to On in the editor. On the unit itself, these are called "SndOnPrst" and "UpdOnPrst."

Just wanted to put that before people read too much and discover I figured it out already :) Although I have several other questions in this thread hah

----
Hi, just got a MMGT-16 and WOW what a powerful unit. Thanks so much for developing this. And it came with the Phantom Power and 7-pin cable I ordered in the same box! Thought I had to wait a while for those. Awesome!

Setup was very simple. With the Default Buttons and Axe-Fx mode etc selected, everything worked great. Then I started deleting buttons and moving things around. Tempo, Tuner, Effects and Preset buttons had no problem. But I did run into something using the Scenes function on the Axe.

With the default button setup, when I changed presets, the "Scene 1" button was lit up and selected when going to any preset. (By default Scene 1 is "under" the Preset button, so I had to press IA mode. I later got rid of the Preset function and just selected IA function so it'd be there without IA Mode.)

This is as expected since calling up a preset on the Axe always goes to Scene 1. So if I Preset+/- or press a Preset button, or type in the # etc on the MMGT, that Scene 1 was always engaged.

However, when I started making my own button layouts and created a Scene 1, Scene 2, etc button, that button was NOT engaged when selecting a new Preset by any method.

My best guess is that at default settings, the "IA Store" status is that Scene 1 IA is stored as engaged in every preset. When I manually IA Store the Scene 1 button I made, then of course it is engaged when selecting that preset. But it seems like I have to do that for every single preset after that.

So with that... my questions are

Is there a way to have any Scene 1 button I create be engaged when calling up a new preset? (of course, the Axe will be in Scene 1 regardless of IA Store, but it's just nice to have it engaged, since that's what it is). If I need to tell you what IA settings I used, let me know, but if it's something simple I'd rather not type everything out. I did copy the default settings exactly. The Scene selection functions perfectly; I'm only talking about having it engaged upon preset selection.

If I take the IA Store button off of my layout, is there any other way to perform that function? Nothing in the computer editor as far as I can tell. If not, I guess I can have it on 2nd or 3rd page just in case I need it, but I don't use Slave mode and the Axe will be telling the MMGT what to have on.

I'm not sure if this is at all related to Yek's (sup dude) comment in the main Axe thread regarding the Axe sending some Scene SysEx when changing it on the Axe.

OH I remember I had another question - not exactly related - but I know if you hold the Bank Up or Down buttons, the function repeats so you scroll through banks faster. This doesn't seem to work though for Preset Up or Down buttons, or some of the other up/down next/prev buttons in menus. Is this right?

Oh and another thing - I notice that some default button names had a backslash in it, something like Preset\Up. Does that backslash hold any system function or something? Or is it simply a normal character?

Eh, just remembered another thing. I have a 16 and the 2 Button LCDs just below the main in the center seem to be darker in general than all other LCDs. Not a deal-breaker, but just wondering if that's normal. Yes, I've checked that they are Blue and not Dark Blue, for example.

--

All that said, I've already conceptualized and setup a killer layout for what I do, far beyond what I could do with the MFC-101 or most other controllers. Even without the LCDs, having multiple pages for each button just makes it way more versatile; and of course the LCDs are integral for helping me remember wtf I put where haha.

The Hold function execution is just genius, and being able to set my own hold time etc makes it work exactly how I want.

Thanks again.

doh, just found this thread regarding the Scene 1 thing in my post above. really not sure how i missed it when i went through the forum earlier today:

http://www.rjmmusic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=919

i'm gonna try it and report back if that works. if so, i'll edit the post above to the relevant thingies.

EDIT
Well of COURSE it works now haha. so that is a bit confusing, but Scenes are a silly beast when it comes to MIDI.

So to reiterate, for Scenes, you want the "Send on Preset Change" and "Update State on Preset Change" options checked, set to On in the editor. On the unit itself, these are called "SndOnPrst" and "UpdOnPrst." For all other IA switches like Chorus On/Off, etc, you want those options unchecked, set to On if you want the Axe to tell the MMGT what is on/off.

I think I'll leave all the rambly roo up above in the OP. I'm sure someone will go through the same steps I did.

I just discovered, though, in the Editor, I can click the buttons in the Preset view and they turn black - I assume this is to notate what buttons are on when you select the preset. But they aren't saving, and lots of times my preset changes to "Global Preset" when clicking the buttons. I'll keep exploring this one and open its own thread if it keeps happening, but just wanted to mention.

Another thing that keeps happening is when I change presets using Preset Up using the MMGT, randomly it will jump back to Preset 1. I can't figure it out yet, but I'll keep investigating and start its own thread as well if it keeps happening. <-- Ok I think I solved this one by turning on "Ignore Incoming PCs." I'm guessing I sent a PC to the Axe to change presets, but then the Axe sends one right back and confuses things. Hmm, it would be nice to have this function available though. I guess it's the increment/decrement thing, vs selecting a preset number specifically. <--- HAHAHA nope! That wasn't it! Yes, the Send/Receive PC does happen, but it fixes itself quickly. What actually happened is I had Preset 50 set to send PC #001 in the Presets tab in the Mac editor. I must have copied Preset 1 - and it copies the PC#! Good to know... (I'm so helpful aren't I!)

However, something REALLY strange is going on with the Global Preset when using the Presets tab in the editor. I think it's related to the Local Page selection, but it's almost 12am here and I can't follow it right... But whenever I select "Show Page: Local Page" I can't select the buttons engaged when the Preset is selected (it turns black, but doesn't save), and randomly the Preset Name and PC number for Axe-Fx will change to say "Global Preset" and 0 or 1. I don't have the Global Preset function enabled at all. Alrighty, I'm gonna go to sleep now. I'm just glad I figured out (meaning I put the options back to where they should have been!) the Scene 1 thing.

I promise I'll clean this thread up!

^^^^^

Don't worry I'll clean this thread up soon and put Questions and Answers very neatly. I guess this is just my way of learning the MMGT. :)

Hi Chris, Yek here, from FAS forum.

Congrats on the GT and good to see you here!!

We have the same workflow, it seems. :)
That is: documenting and sharing while learning.

Regarding scenes:
- I don't use SndOnPrst for scene buttons.
- Scenes control works in a different way than on the MFC. If the Scene 1 button doesn't lit after changing presets, press it and use "IA Store" to make the GT remember it. (It's only for this reason that I have a Page/IA Store button, instead of just a Page button, because I do not not use IA Mode). After setting up the GT and Axe-Fx, and keeping scene buttons in IA Mode, scene 1 is always lit by default. But when you move the scene buttons, like I've done (to page 2), that configuration is lost and you have to instruct the GT to lit the scene 1 button after preset switching, PER PRESET.
- Currently the GT doesn't receive/process scene switching info from the Axe-Fx. So switching scenes with the "A" knob will not lit the corresponding scene button on the GT.

The backslash character is used to force a hard return in the label text.

sup yek :)

i did try the IA Store thing, and yeah it works, but like you said you have to do it for each preset and if you move the button, you have to do it again. i did NOT like that workflow.

i know you said you don't use SndOnPrst, but Ron actually suggested that in another thread that Rain started a while ago and it actually works like a charm. as i echoed above, Ron said to have both SndOnPrst and UpdOnPrst set to On just for Scene buttons. when i did that, my Scene1 switches were on by default. all other IA types have those things Off. so far this seems to be the best for me. i do not want to IA Store the Scene1 button all the time :) curious, have you tried that just for your Scene buttons?

i'm actually considering trying Slave mode. it might be nice to save IA states on the controller during the gig. i do tend to change my mind throughout the gig with my "One Big Preset" concept, but i wonder how that will work with the Axe Scenes. i'm ok with short gaps where things change, so maybe i'll try that next.

i am just completely floored by this MMGT - it's basically everything i've ever wanted in a controller. the 16 is just a tad wider than the mfc, but it's weighs less, which is always a good thing. i'm kinda bummed that Boss expressions don't work with the thing outright, but i've read where someone had no problem with their Boss pedal so i think i'll try that later today too. these M-Audio EX-P plastic pedals i had are just ready to break as i stand on them haha.

thanks.

Yes indeed, when enabling SndOnPrst you don't have to use Store.
I like to keep the amount of transferred MIDI data low. So I rather store the preset once.

I also love the device. The first couple of weeks I was changing (and discovering) stuff all the time. I've settled down now. I think.

I had never been able to get this to work. I think I finally get it. Apart from the two settings ron mentions I hd to select only on messages which makes sense because you never turn off a scene except by selecting another scene. Need to update my local pages and do some testing. So far it looks like it is working though.

Gotta say, the more you use the GT the more you dig it.

Back