Axe Fx II Scenes

Glennski

Hi Ron!

Just been playing around heaps to get scenes working well with the GT, and I thought I'd share how I've come up with things so far, plus a few questions/feature request :)

My button setup is still evolving, but so far I've decided to have 3 presets and 3 scenes all along the bottom row to maintain IA real estate, and with scenes it's almost as if I now have 9 presets to chose from now!

To get it working properly the IAs have to send CC momentary, with on/off values being the same. They should be assigned a group. I managed to get the GT to default to the first button in the group by turning on 'local update' for all of the buttons, otherwise the selected scene will persist upon preset change even though the axefx defaults to scene 1. I noticed this changed from 'dev update' between firmware 1 and 1.1 - are they the same thing/is this the intended behaviour?

Anyhow it works great but what would make it truly awesome and keep it above par with the MFC-101 is to have the IA buttons update with each scene selection. I'm not sure how you'd implement it, whether have 'Scene' as a new button type, or have an extra setting in 'more setting' to toggle for any button to poll the axefx when pressed?

Also it would be really neat to either assign for each preset in the GT a starting scene so you can send a scene CC to the axe after the PC message, or alternatively to poll the axe on each PC change for the current scene (if that's possible) for those using the custom mapping feature on the axefx. Although I think the first suggestion might allow more flexibilty, keeping the GT at the top of the chain and having it do all the work.

What do you think?

Cheers

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for the report! I've been too busy to play with Scenes yet, but will implement "official" support soon. I'm surprised that the IAs don't change when the scene changes, but you're probably right that the Axe-Fx needs to be polled for the IA state. If the MFC can do it, so can we. I'll also check into the possibility of selecting a scene upon preset change.

"Local Update" is in fact the same as the old "Device Update", but opposite. In the course of getting 1.1 done, the name of the parameter changed a couple of times. Local Update makes the most sense to me, because it actually controls whether the IAs are allowed to be changed by the GT on a preset change. The buttons can always be controlled by the attached device (if the device has the ability).

And I forgot to mention that in the final 1.1 release, Local Update changed names one last time. It's now "Update on Preset" (actually an abbreviation of that). It means the same thing, but hopefully is clearer now that it specifically mentions that it deals with behavior that happens on preset change.

Hey Ron,

I've noticed what seems to be a small bug to do with grouping:

I have my scene buttons (3) in a group on the bottom row on the right hand side. When I change from say scene 1 to scene 2 or 3, everything behaves as normal. But when going from 3 to 2 or 1, or 2 to 1, the change doesn't take effect until I release the button. The axefx however shows midi input when the button is pressed, and released. I've tried swapping buttons 3 and 1 so things are in the reverse order, and then it behaves in the reverse order - the scene change won't take effect until the button is released when going from 1 to 2 or 3 etc., but works fine going the other direction.

If I ungroup the buttons, everything behaves as expected, so that makes me think it's a bug to do with grouping.

I've attached my setup config, way easier for you to look at I'd guess. It's all just on page 1. I had to rar it, the forum won't accept .rjs files!

Thanks for your help!

Glenn

Attachments

• mmgt.rar
    10.9 KB · Views: 168
Okay, I'll look into that. Thanks for the file.

Thanks also for pointing out the issue with RJS files - I definitely need to fix that!

Are there any updates to this? Scene functionality is a big part of what I hope to use the Mastermind for! Any way that I can help test etc I'd be glad to.

Not yet, still neck deep in writing the editor! Hopefully I can get through the editor soon and move on to v1.2.

SOLVED!

Hey Ron,

I hooked the GT midi up to my interface and recorded to see what was going on. It only became obvious when I altered the cc number of one of the buttons in the group (I think somewhere along the line 'duplicate' midi messages were being filtered out) and could see that as the button was pressed down there were 2 cc messages being transmitted at the same time - the 'momentary on' value of the button being pressed, and the 'off' value of the button in the group being turned off. It was just that due to the way the programming is, the order in which those messages were being transmitted seemed to depend on the position of the buttons within the group. Solution - SndOffMsg needs to be OFF in the group settings! Voila!

Moral of my story - before 'bugging' the developer with bug reports, RTFM! :) and keep up with release notes for updates - this feature was added in 1.1, before I made the initial post. Sorry Ron!

Glenn

Great! I'm glad you found that. I will still add "built-in" Scene support in the next firmware release, and this tidbit of information will save me some head scratching, I'm sure!

All right. I am trying to follow this and winding up in frustration land.

If I understand correctly, I cannot use separate buttons for each scene, allowing me to use just one preset per song.

I have also been unable to get any button to switch off of Scene 1 on the Axe FX II. Is that because I am attempting to use separate buttons for each scene?

You can use separate buttons for each scene no problems. Or alternatively it would be possible to set up one button to toggle between 2 scenes.

The latest firmware has great scene support. I haven't checked myself but the default page for the axefx2 has 6 scene buttons set up.

What do you mean about not being able to get buttons to 'switch off of scene 1'? As long as you have bidirectional communication on the GT should poll the axefx2 on each scene change and update each axefx2 IA button's on/off status.

I've got guitarone's file all fixed up. In the process, I discovered that the beta editor doesn't do a good job setting up the Scene buttons (but the GT itself does). I'll fix that problem soon, but in the meantime, here are some tips:

Each scene button needs to set up as the following:
One action: CC Toggle, Axe-Fx II, CC number 34. The On and Off values should be the same, and should be one less than the desired scene number. (0 for scene 1, 1 for scene 2, etc.)
All of the scene buttons should be assigned to the same button group.

That will do the job!

Back