Axe FX Ultra Bidirectional?

getlostinsound

Hi all,

I have a Mastermind LT and an Axe FX Ultra. The LT has been a great unit so far, being smaller yet more powerful than other MIDI foot controllers I've owned.

I haven't had any success with bidirectional communication with the Axe FX though. I'm not really worried about getting preset names, but FX state and tuner display would be great.

I'm using a 5-wire MIDI cable to connect the LT "out" to the Ultra "in". I've enabled bidirectional communication on the LT. I've enabled the "tuner sysex" option on the Ultra. In the LT, I have the device set up as an Axe FX Ultra. I have an IA button set up for "tuner".

The IA button turns the tuner on and off, no problem, but I don't get tuner display on the LT. To test the bidirectional communication, I tried "getting" some preset names from the Ultra with the LT. No success. The LT just hangs, like it's waiting on information.

Am I missing anything? Most of the documentation I've seen, including the RJM YouTube video about this, uses an Axe FX II. Is this possible with an Axe FX Standard/Ultra?

Thanks in advance!
Andrew

The LT does handle Ultra sysex messages when you set up the device as an Axe-Fx Ultra.

Are you sure that your MIDI cable is a 5-pin active cable? Some MIDI cables have 5 pins but they only wire 3 pins to save a few pennies. Normal MIDI only needs 3 pins, but bidirectional needs all 5 pins wired.

Yes, it has all 5 wires; I used the continuity setting on my multimeter to verify.

My cable is a Rocktron 5-pin to 7-pin; I just found another thread where a user found out he had a similar issue that was caused by the quality of his Rocktron cable. I just ordered a 5-pin cable from your online store. I'll report back after trying it out. Thanks!

Back