Betcha Can't Solve This One! Schematic Included! UPDATED!!!!

Who has the brains to figure this one out?!?!?! The schematic looks pretty simple but I'm guessing it's harder than it looks (at least for me)!!!!

I'm trying hard to keep my dry signal in-tact while using digital effects and a looper in my rig. It should be a pretty simple setup, but I always get confused with the different types of cables (TS, TRS, Y, etc) and how they impact my signal flow.

Here is my schematic:
7-24-13RigSchematic.png

As you can see, I have a wireless that feeds my stomboxes in the first 8 loops. The buffer is then inserted in the chain before hitting the preamp input. I then feed the rack volume as the first thing in my serial loop before hitting a delay pedal (that has 1/4 inputs for using in stereo). In turn, that signal feeds a recording interface which feeds into a RJM mini mixer along with the dry signal. The interface can mute the input on the outputs (i.e. dry kill). Finally, the mixer combines the signals and feeds them to my stereo poweramp and 2 cabinets.

Here is what I'm hoping to accomplish with this setup:
1.) Keep my dry signal in-tact and feeding both left and right cabinets w/o going through digital converters (the delay pedal has dry analog thru so it is okay in the serial loop but the the looper interface does not have a dry analog path so I'm putting it in the parallel loop)
2.) A/B between both cabinets using loops 11&12 (completely muting the signal to each one)
3.) Pan my delay from one cabinet to the other (I can pan using an expression pedal for the delay and I'm currently okay with not being able to pan my dry signal which is always present in both sides)
4.) Use my volume pedal to reduce overall volume and delay trails fade naturally after volume down
5.) Mix the looper from right to left using the mixer in my recording interface (I can mute the inputs on the outputs within the mixing software to avoid phasing with the original dry signal - 'dry kill'). Additionally, my looping software allows me to pan recorded tracks from one side to another before it hits the mixer. For example, I could route the output mix in the mixer to be equal in both cabinets but I could have recorded track #1 be panned hard right and recorded track#2 panned hard left. In essence, I could have both loops 11 (left) &12 (right) on while recording track #1. I could have that track panned hard right in the recording software. Then, I could turn off loop 12 while soloing so my dry signal isn't present on that cabinet....only the recorded looping phrase is coming out. While I'm soloing, I'm recording on track #2 which is panned hard left (remember: loop 11 is still on so it is feeding a signal to that side of the mixer while I'm soloing). Finally, I kick both loops on and solo again while track #1 continues to come out of the right cabinet and track #2 is now coming out of the left cabinet. My 3rd and final solo is now coming out of both cabinets 'on top' of the recorded loops.

Will this setup allow me to do this? I'm thinking I may need to change a few TS cables to TRS cables to get this right. I talked with Ron awhile back about a similar configuration (without the mixer and looper in the mix) and he said I would need a TS (mono) to TRS (dual mono) cable coming from the volume output to go into loop 9 input for running stereo with a serial loop. From there, I'm guessing I would need to have a TRS from the output of 9 into 10. Not sure what to do really....

Re: Betcha Can't Solve This One! Schematic Included!

Looks pretty good, but you're going to lose the stereo signal from the delay. With a mono cable, you're only going to get one side of the stereo signal coming out of Out 9. You either need to convert all of the connections after the delay to be stereo, or run the delay into the mixer (in stereo).

THANK YOU!!!! I had it hooked up that way and couldn't figure out why my delay was only coming out of one cabinet. DOH!!!!!

Here is my updated schematic. How does it look?
7-24-13RigSchematic-v2.png

I think I got it correct, based on your recommendation. However, I'm not sure if I have the correct cable going out of loop 10 to the mixer (TRS). I also don't know if I am going into the correct input in the mixer (left or right). I read in the manual that I need to put a TRS cable in the 'left' side of input 4 when using a TRS cable (if indeed that is the cable I need there).

I really can't thank you enough. It is truly impressive when a company makes fantastic products AND supports them. RJM for life!!!!!!!

BTW...I don't want to run the delay into the mixer because it would be parallel to the looper and I wouldn't be able to record my delays.

Looks good. The left input of the line mixer is what you should use if you're running a stereo signal to it with a TRS cable.

Well, something isn't quite right. I hooked it up exactly as the schematic. In my looper/mixer interface, I get signals in both L&R inputs if I have the delay pedal on. If the delay pedal is off, I only get signal on one side (L) in the mixer.

Do I need to make a TS to TRS cable to go from my volume output to the input of 9 AND/OR another insert Y cable to run from the send of 9 to the delay pedal (L&R). What did I do wrong?

Yes, you're right. You need to convert from TS ro TRS. The cable that leads from out 9 to in 10 should do the conversion.

Okay. Changed my mind on something. Any idea on how I would take the looper out of the RJM Loop 10 and still keep it with the mini mixer in parallel to my dry signal and other effects? I don't like having to turn on/off a loop to be able to record with my looper (e.g. I must have loop 10 on to allow input into the looper for recording).

You would either need to keep loop 10 on all the time (you can program the Effect Gizmo to do this), or you'd need a three-way split from Out 9 to go to the left and right looper inputs and the dry input of the mixer.

rjmmusic said:
You would either need to keep loop 10 on all the time (you can program the Effect Gizmo to do this), or you'd need a three-way split from Out 9 to go to the left and right looper inputs and the dry input of the mixer.

Ah, this is why I will always be a RJM fan and user. You come up with some genius solutions, Ron. Thanks for your help!!!!

Obviously, the first option is the easiest. I didn't know that you could program a loop to always be on (believe it or not, I do read manuals but must have missed this). That's sweet. I can definitely go this route if needed to keep things simple.

Now, if I went with option #3, how would I make a 3-way split? I assume I would have to solder a custom cable of some sorts. I am competent at soldering so this wouldn't be too difficult. I am, however, worried about signal loss.

Finally, your option #3 has opened up a possibility of something I have been wanting to try for a while. I really want to put a stereo mod pedal (i.e. Strymon Mobius) in my serial effects loop BEFORE the delay pedal (i.e. Strymon Timeline). So, based on what you said for option #3, I should be able to do this:
1.) Insert the Mobius into the SEND and RETURN of loop #9 (in place of the Strymon Delay using Y cables).
2.) Move the Strymon delay to the SEND and RETURN of loop #10 (using Y cables).
3.) Use a 3-way split from the OUT of loop #10.
a.) 2 outputs from loop #10 feed the L&R inputs of the looper. The outputs of the looper feed the L&R #1 inputs on the mini mixer.
b.) 1 output from loop #10 (TRS) feeds the LEFT input (dry) of the mini mixer.

Is this correct? I'm not sure if I want to move my Mobius (which is currently in loop #8 in mono before the preamp) to the effects loop in stereo but thought it would be worth a try. The Mobius is the only effect in my chain that has no 'analog' through and it doesn't have 'dry kill' so I've been messing around with where it may fit the best. I think it jacks with my tone too much before the preamp (especially on high distortion).

BTW... on another note...I do have a RJM buffer in there as well (that isn't shown in the diagram). I have the signal feeding from my rack wah "volume" (which is TS out) into the RJM buffer (TS in), then I use a "Y" cable from buffer outs (TS Left & Right) to combine into a TRS which goes into the GIZMO #9 loop input. I also have a Y cable from the Gizmo #9 feeding into the delay L&R. I had to do this because I was having a 'volume drop' when I would engage the GIZMO loop for the looper pedal. By adding that buffer, my signal is now consistent. I couldn't think of a better place to put it so this seemed to work best. So...I have the buffer available if there is a better place to use it in my post-effects signal chain.

Phew....did you get all that? That's a mouthful!

Re: Betcha Can't Solve This One! New Schematic. UPDATED!

UPDATE!!!!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!

I moved a few things around and made this schematic based on your recommendations, Ron.

2-4-14RigSchematic.png

In a nutshell, I run all my stompbox fx in mono before my preamp. Then, that preamp feeds a mono output signal into my rack volume. I split the signal coming out of the rack volume with a RJM Tone Saver (because the rack volume only has mono ins and outs). The tone saver also eliminated a volume drop I was experiencing when previously having the looper in the mini mixer.

I am now in 'full stereo' for my post-effects. The dual signal feeds my stereo modulation and delay units in the serial effects loop. After the mod and delay, the signal is then split 3 ways coming out of loop 10. I used a Y insert cable and connected one side (ring) to the dry mono input on the mixer (channel 4, right side). The other side of the Y cable (tip) goes into a mono-to-dual mono adapter. The two outputs of the adapter feed the L & R inputs of the looper. I muted the outputs on the looper using an internal mixer. Thus, the looper is in a parallel fx loop with the fx device (looper) set to 'dry kill'. Finally, the combined outputs from the mini mixer feed the two channels of my power amp.

I'm hoping this will allow me to:
1.) Maintain a dry signal throughout the post-effects area (except when running through the AD/DA converters in the modulation device which does not have an analog thru...the delay is also digital but it does has an analog thru).
2.) Be able to pan effects from left to right with the modulation and delay pedals, respectively.
3.) Be able to pan the recorded looper tracks from left to right (e.g. some recorded tracks are panned to one cabinet while some other tracks are panned to another cabinet).
4.) Be able to mute either L or R signals to each cabinet (using loops 11&12 on the Gizmo)
5.) Use loops 9 & 10 to mute the input to the fx devices and NOT have a loop to turn on/off the looper pedal.
6.) Use the volume pedal to control post-preamp volume on both cabinets at the same time (but not the effects which fade out naturally).

Essentially, I believe I have a dual wet/dry setup. My dry signal is always present in both cabinets but I can pan my effects and looper tracks from left to right.

Did I do it right? My biggest concern is how I split my signal coming out of loop 10 to feed the mixer. I'm not sure I split it the right way using the proper cables and I don't know if I am sending a 'dry' signal to the mixer as intended. It seemed I had some 'phasing' issues when I originally tried it out. THANKS!!!!

Re: Betcha Can't Solve This One! Schematic Included! UPDATED

It all looks pretty good, but the mixer is definitely not getting a dry signal - the signal it receives will be affected by the delay and mod pedals. To give it a dry signal, you'd need to split the Tone Saver output and run it to input 4 on the mixer.

rjmmusic said:
It all looks pretty good, but the mixer is definitely not getting a dry signal - the signal it receives will be affected by the delay and mod pedals. To give it a dry signal, you'd need to split the Tone Saver output and run it to input 4 on the mixer.

Brilliant! Thanks!

Does this mean that I will ALSO need a mono-to-dual mono cable to split the signal out of the tone saver to feed into loop 9? I assume I would need this so that my delay will be fed a stereo signal to feed both the L&R inputs.

So...

RJM Tone Saver "OUT" uses a mono to dual mono to feed into loop #9
RJM Tone Saver "ISO" out feeds RJM Mini Mixer Input #4 Right (mono input)
Gizmo Loop #10 Output into L&R Looper Inputs using a Y cable

Yes, that's correct - that should do it.

Back