Buffer Q

Hi all,

New to forum and new to rack effects so excuse the ignorance...!

I have a q re where to put the buffer in my signal chain:

My current set up is gtr->OD->Amp but will also be adding an ISP decimator now and a wah at a later date.

What is best location for 1. Buffer and 2. Decimator?

Also, in RG16, do i have to use loops 1-4 in that order or can i leave loop 1 empty and just start at loop 2 ( so that i can add in a extra pedal in loop 1 when i get it?

Thanks

Depends on the Decimator - the G String (which is a superior design) you connect part of straight after the guitar, and then the other part further down the chain (end of the pedalboard usually, but there are good examples on ISP's website).

The buffer, I'd have immediately after the guitar unless you use an old fuzz or wah that doesn't like being after a buffer. Before the OD, certainly. If your plan is to have the wah on the floor and the other pedals in the rack, then I'd go guitar > wah > buffer > rest of stuff (unless like me you run wireless and have an odd way of routing things ;))

You can happily miss out loop 1 for now on the RG-16 - it's completely out of the circuit until you turn it on anyway. I currently have nothing plugged into loops 5 or 8 of my Effect Gizmo, and have no problem with it.

Hi Martin,

Yeah it's a rack mounted g-string i will be using. Just bought it and have never used a noise suppressor so will have to do a little investigation. To my knowledge one channel goes up front and the other goes in the loop - that is where my current knowledge stops....

Just on the Wah. I was considering two options:
1. Go gtr->wah->RG16 input
2. Put Wah in the first loop of RG16

My thinking was that using option would be dependent on the wah having a really good hard bypass and also being easily switchable, so i was leaning towards option 2.

Anyway it is early days for me as i have just started putting the rack togeher and will be soldering cable for the weekend before i get to experiment with anything...........

if you put the wah in loop 1, you´ll have to run two long cables from your rack to the wah and back...i don´t do it.
i´m using a dunlop wylde wah in front of the rg-16....
git - tuner - wah - rg-16 (loop 1-4) - buffer ......works well for me.
the buffer is after my mxr pedals, because the dyna comp sounds better with the buffer afterwards.

Attachments

• RG-16_4Cable.pdf
    53 KB · Views: 4
For wahs, I recommend getting one with true bypass, or modifying it for true bypass. That way, you don't need the extra cable(s) and you can use the switch built in to the wah, which is typically more convenient.

I found when I ran my wah in a loop, I got a huge POP every time I turned it on, due to the great length of cable (and the extra buffering in the wah itself - the Morley Bad Horsie is the absolute opposite of a true bypass wah! I hate the switch mechanism used on a Crybaby or whatever though). I run Guitar > Input Selector (loops 1-4 of Effect Gizmo) > Buffer > Wah (via Pedalsnake) > pedals (loops 5-8) > Preamp input. Works for me, and the Pedalsnake is fantastic for keeping things quiet. Plus, one cable to the pedalboard - winner!

+1 on the pedalsnakes

On my old analog rig I used a pedalsnake to supply power to the board and connect the board to amp fx loop etc great.

ON my rack I use a pedalsnake to supply poewr from the rack to my midi controller and connect the midi send return and a further pedalsnake to connect the rig to my combo amp guitar in, preamp send, power amp in and footswitch control.

Keeps all the external cabling from the rack neat tidy well organised and simple

Thanks for the responses

So just to clarify, should i go into the first channel of the decimator and then to the buffer, or into the buffer with the decimator in loop 1?

Holy Diver said:
Thanks for the responses

So just to clarify, should i go into the first channel of the decimator and then to the buffer, or into the buffer with the decimator in loop 1?
^ This. You don't want the first part of the Decimator in a loop, because that bit doesn't do the noise reduction, it just monitors the input signal to trigger the other bit, which does the noise reduction.

Back