BUG: Axe-Fx Looper

Mr.E

The Looper button doesn't reflect the state change on the Axe-Fx
Even when programming a button where I turn the looper of and IA link is on in the looper button, the looper button stays on.

The Looper button doesn't reflect the state change on the Axe-Fx
Even when programming a button where I turn the looper of and IA link is on in the looper button, the looper button stays on.

I have my Looper Bypass button sent to sent on preset change and update off. Which means, I'm only controlling it on the GT so I don't really need it to reflect the state in the preset. This makes sense to me because I want to use the Looper like a global block. It's either on everywhere or off everywhere regardless of the saved state in the preset.

For example, if I'm doing a loop in a given preset and I switch to another preset, I don't want the loop to stop; that wouldn't make sense. Or if I bypass the looper, I don't want it to suddenly turn on and start playing a loop when I switch to a different preset.

So, in theory, the way the GT works make sense to me. However, there is an issue with this in practice. If I record a loop and then bypass the looper block, when I switch to a new preset there is a brief burst of sound from the recorded loop before the looper block is bypassed. I believe this is happening because all my presets have the looper block saved in the on state. Not sure if I'd have the opposite problem if I saved by looper block in the disabled state. But I think the core problem might be the way the looper block is implemented in the Axe FX.

I don't use the looper block a ton so I'll have to experiment with this some more later.
-
Austin

O.k., so this won't necessarily help you, but this is how I set my Looper page up tonight.
I have the looper block in all my presets enabled.
I set up my record button to tap on and tap off and to automatically start playing the loop when I stop recording

I set all the usual looper buttons, but I got rid of my looper block on/off button

The result:
If I record a loop in one preset and start playing it, I can switch to another preset and it keeps playing. And the playing is more seamless than if I had a looper button (unnecessarily) turning on the looper block each time I switch presets
If I stop a playing loop and switch presets, it still won't play
For this reason, there is actually no point in having a looper block on/off button

Instead I replaced my Looper block on/off button with a Clear Loop button. It always annoyed me that there was no automatic way to clear a loop, sure you could stop playing it or bypass the looper block but the loop would still be there available to be accidentally played at the most inopportune moment. So I set up a momentary button with 2 actions. The first action starts to record when I step on it and stops recording when I lift up on it. The second action is set to the loop play function (CC 29) with a value of 0 for on and off. The result is I can tap the button at any time and it will clear the loop by basically recording a split second of no audio and set the loop play function to stop. It works whenever the looper block is present whether a loop is playing or not.

It doesn't exactly speak to your issue, but it might be an alternative setup that works for you.
-
Austin

Back