Buzzy MEG

MartinCliffe

One of my Mini Effect Gizmos has a buzz. It's most odd, because it's self generated noise, even if nothing else is plugged into it (just power and a cable from the MEG to the amp), but it sounds like a ground / earth buzz. My other two do not exhibit this problem, so I was able to swap the buzzy one out (only got two MEGs on my current pedalboard). I pulled the lid off and had a look inside, in case there was anything obvious, or a ground-lift switch as per RG16 / EG, but there doesn't seem to be. Any thoughts? Powering it from one of the 9VAC outputs on a MXR MC403 Power Station.

Hi Martin,

I can't remember - is your MEG a prototype or other early version? It might be more sensitive to AC power. Try powering it with DC and see if the buzz goes away.

It's the "ugly duckling" one I got from you earlier this year (no silkscreening on it), MEG10200. I'm happy to report that Prototype #1 is running fine, as is the one I bought from Toneworld.

I'll give DC power a go - if that solves the problem, it can go on my "B" board which is powered from my Flatliner.

Plugged in my Flatliner today... 9VAC outlet, MEG is buzz city. 9VDC outlet, quiet as a church mouse. Cheers for helping me resolve that one, Ron. Much obliged.

EDIT: FWIW, I've discovered that Prototype #1 isn't 100% happy running on AC either. It's not as buzzy as the ugly duckling, but it's still quieter on DC. I did some rejigging of power cables on my board (using all 16 outlets on the PowerStation) and it's quieter than ever.

Great, glad to hear that's resolved. If you ever need to run AC, let me know and we can try putting a larger filter capacitor in there.

Back