CC momentary / toggle

Hi,
I'm trying to create a combo command to do a few things in logic - stop playback, advance to next marker, start recording.

I have all of these mapped to CCs and they work fine individually. When creating a macro action, how are the CC messages sent ? Eg : this is what I have configured it as :
Macro 0:
Logic / CC Toggle #0 off:None on:0 -> CC 0 value 0 is stop
Logic / CC Toggle #1 off:None on:127 -> CC 1 value 127 is advance to next marker
Logic / CC Toggle #5 off:None on:127 -> CC 5 value 127 is record

Now I assign Macro 0 to an IA button and check the momentary flag. When I hit that button, does it send all the 3 "On" values followed by all 3 "Off" values in order as defined in the macro ?

What if I had defined each action as CC Momentary but did not check the Momentary flag on the button ? I guess I'm a little confused on how momentary behaves in these two scenarios with multiple CC actions.

And a follow up is, if I introduce a System Wait 200 in between each CC toggle message (to make sure Logic catches all of them), does it do the wait between every On step and then between every Off step ?

Thanks

If I’m understanding correctly, you want to hit one foot switch on the MMGT have it stop the current action that you’re doing in Logic, then advance to the next marker and start recording when it gets to that next marker. For me, if I am deciding on whether to use toggle or momentary, I go with toggle if I want to turn something on and then turn if off. If I just want to complete an action with no need to turn it off I use momentary. Although your macro is starting with a stop command it’s not really an on/off scenario. So I might be inclined to try momentary. With regard to the wait action. If it were me I‘d be inserting a wait command in between each of the 3 command lines in your macro. That way when you step on the footswitch logic gets the message to stop, then a 200 ms wait, then it receives the command to move to the next marker, then another 200 ms wait, then it receives the command to start recording. This way, logic isn’t trying to do all 3 things at once which may confuse it since there is a stop command mixed in there. It’s possible that you don’t need the second wait command but I don’t think it would hurt.
If I am able to imagine it correctly, if you use toggle, even if you had the wait commands programmed in, your action would only be completed on the 1st, press then the second press nothing would happen then then 3rd it complete the macro etc. Because every second press would be the off command for which there is nothing programmed.

What would happen in that case is that, the On values for all three CCs would be sent when the button is pressed, and the Off values are sent when the button is released. (but, you have the Off value set to None for all of them, so they won't send anything)

The difference between using the Momentary checkbox and a CC Momentary action is how the button behaves. If the button is set to Momentary, its LED will turn on when you press it, and will turn off when you release it. The On values will be sent when the button is pressed and the Off values will be sent when the button is released

If you have a non-momentary button with a CC Momentary action, the first press of the button will turn the LED on, the second press will turn it off. Regardless of whether the button's LED is on or off, each press of the button will send the on value and releasing it will send the off value.

Now that you mention it, I'm not 100% sure that a CC Momentary action would work in a macro. But it might. Setting the button to momentary will work for sure.

A System / Wait action will place a pause in there every time the actions are run, regardless of whether it's sending on values or off values.

BTW, make sure that "Direct Send CC/PC" is turned on in the Devices tab for the Logic device. If you don't, it will try to group up the messages and send them all at once, which would prevent System / Wait action from doing anything useful.

Thanks for the responses, it’s now clear to me. Yes, I did add a wait between each command and I noticed erratic behavior in logic where it sometimes missed one of the commands and that led me down the whole momentary / toggle thing. I did not have “Direct Send” checked, which was probably the issue, thank you for pointing that out.
Im sticking with the button as momentary and the actions as toggle with the off value set to None.

Going to test this out a bit more, but it’s looking good so far.

Thanks for the responses, it’s now clear to me. Yes, I did add a wait between each command and I noticed erratic behavior in logic where it sometimes missed one of the commands and that led me down the whole momentary / toggle thing. I did not have “Direct Send” checked, which was probably the issue, thank you for pointing that out.
Im sticking with the button as momentary and the actions as toggle with the off value set to None.

Going to test this out a bit more, but it’s looking good so far.
I’d appreciate hearing more as you move forward. I’ve had Logic for a long time, and even though I’ve not yet tried anything similar to what you are doing, it’s always good to learn.
Cheers
Lee

I’d appreciate hearing more as you move forward. I’ve had Logic for a long time, and even though I’ve not yet tried anything similar to what you are doing, it’s always good to learn.
Cheers
Lee
Did a 2 hour gig over the weekend and happy to report that everything was smooth.
I run tracks, click, cues and some axe fx patch changes in logic while simultaneously recording 15 channels of audio. Using markers is the best way to navigate in logic when using a foot controller.

My GT-16 controls logic via midi over USB (with bome midi translator as the middle man) and controls my axe fx via the midi out port. With the GT-16, it’s pretty easy to map out any specific logic command or a sequence of commands to a button. I just add a 100ms delay between commands with direct send turned on and did not see any glitches.

Did a 2 hour gig over the weekend and happy to report that everything was smooth.
I run tracks, click, cues and some axe fx patch changes in logic while simultaneously recording 15 channels of audio. Using markers is the best way to navigate in logic when using a foot controller.

My GT-16 controls logic via midi over USB (with bome midi translator as the middle man) and controls my axe fx via the midi out port. With the GT-16, it’s pretty easy to map out any specific logic command or a sequence of commands to a button. I just add a 100ms delay between commands with direct send turned on and did not see any glitches.
Awesome! I guess I’ve been too myopic, simply controlling my AF3 with my GT22. Thanks for a bit more info. I’ll try to dig into Logic a bit more.

Back