Chroma Console Causing Loop to Pop

Matthew Terrado

I’ve got a hologram chroma console that’s causing an audible pop when I engage its loop. I’ve moved it to other loops and tried different cables but the issue persists. It’s definitely the chroma console causing the issue because if I plug other pedals into the same loop as the chroma console, they’re quiet as can be when I engage the loop. I’m using a Strymon power supply to power the chroma console. Any ideas what’s causing the loop to pop?

I've never worked with that pedal, but that is typically a symptom of a pedal leaking DC voltage out of its output. You could test this by connecting another pedal between the output of the Chroma Console and the loop return. Something that you can turn on, but turn down so you don't hear much of the effect. Pretty much all pedals will block any DC coming from the pedal before it.

If this fixes the problem, I recommend contacting the manufacturer. It could possibly a bad capacitor on the pedal's output.

I've never worked with that pedal, but that is typically a symptom of a pedal leaking DC voltage out of its output. You could test this by connecting another pedal between the output of the Chroma Console and the loop return. Something that you can turn on, but turn down so you don't hear much of the effect. Pretty much all pedals will block any DC coming from the pedal before it.

If this fixes the problem, I recommend contacting the manufacturer. It could possibly a bad capacitor on the pedal's output.
I tried this with a couple of different pedals in between the output and the return of the chroma console but it’s still popping so I think the chroma console is fine. I’ve never had this happen with any other pedals. Kinda weird that it’s only happening with the chroma console.

It's pretty likely still be some issue with that pedal, because it only happens with that pedal. Do you happen to have a voltmeter? If so, plug a cable into the output of the pedal, set the meter to millivolts, then measure tip to ground on the other side of the cable when the pedal is on. Any reading more than a millivolt or two indicates enough DC to cause a problem.

Back